Hop bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cha ngo

Reaction score
For those of you who do not use them, is there a good reason? Do they inhibit utilization? Is it worth the investment for a false bottom on a brew pot?

cha ngo said:
For those of you who do not use them, is there a good reason? Do they inhibit utilization? Is it worth the investment for a false bottom on a brew pot?

They DO reduce hop utlilization by not lett hte hops roll all over the place in the boil, but it's a minimal impact I think.

Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. For lightly hopped beers, I'll use them for convenience. For my IPA, there's just too many damn hops to stuff in a sack, so I don't bother.

I like to keep things simple and from what I can tell from experience and what I've read, they are not necessary. So I don't bother with them.

I am using a 15 gal keg with the top cut off as a brew pot. It has a 1/2" ball valve at the bottom to pour my chilled wort into the fermenter(s). I think some method of straining the hops out of the wort would be necessary. If not, please let me know.

cha ngo said:
I am using a 15 gal keg with the top cut off as a brew pot. It has a 1/2" ball valve at the bottom to pour my chilled wort into the fermenter(s). I think some method of straining the hops out of the wort would be necessary. If not, please let me know.

Yeah, you might need to do something then, like a false bottom in the kettle or a hop bag. Otherwise the hops will very likely clog up the spigot when you drain.

Agree - I start with the assumption that everyone does five gallon batches. Under different circumstances different actions must be taken.

cha ngo said:

I have the same setup. I have to tilt my keggle to get all the wort out. I just waste the last 1/2 gallon where all the hops congregate rather than let it get into my fermenter. Some gets in anyway.

I want to make one of those hopstoppers, but haven't gotten around to ordering stainless steel mesh screening yet. The actual HopStopper sold on this site is too expensive, IMO. It would not be hard to make one if you have the proper SS screen mesh. The other parts consist of a copper dip tupe and brass sweat or compression fitting.

Back