Competition - What category to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsbeer

Reaction score
Hi all-

I recently brewed and bottled a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. After only one week in the bottle, I think it tastes great. I think it will be even better with a few weeks to condition.

I'm thinking about sending this off to one of the AHA competitions occurring in mid-December. This would be my first competition, so I'm not sure what category to use for this beer.

Should I enter it as an Oatmeal Stout (13C) or as a Specialty Beer (23)? The recipe makes use of vanilla and cocoa powder. Would this cause it to be judged "out of style" in category 13C?

Thanks!

Hi all-

I recently brewed and bottled a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. After only one week in the bottle, I think it tastes great. I think it will be even better with a few weeks to condition.

I'm thinking about sending this off to one of the AHA competitions occurring in mid-December. This would be my first competition, so I'm not sure what category to use for this beer.

Should I enter it as an Oatmeal Stout (13C) or as a Specialty Beer (23)? The recipe makes use of vanilla and cocoa powder. Would this cause it to be judged "out of style" in category 13C?

Thanks!

Yes, if it's got noticeable vanilla and chocolate notes, it's a specialty beer (23).

Actually if it has those then I would say its more of a 21A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

That is what I would do as well. Young’s Double Chocolate Stout is an example of a 21A. I would not include vanilla in the description unless it is very prominent.

I went back and read the description for 21A. Yup, that sounds about right.

I skipped by it the first time because "vegetable" made me think about Green Bean Beer.

I would say the vanilla and the cocoa are both very subtle, but the total is greater than the sum of the parts.

Thanks everybody!

Latest posts

Back