Hope I like iodine in my beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer_Robot

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm making a honey blonde ale. All is good, I hit over target gravity but that's okay, I pour 2.5 gallons of iodophor solution into the fermenter to sanitize it, and while it's chilling I stretch a paint strainer over the bucket to strain out the hops. I pour the cold wort in, then see the bucket is filling up way quicker than it should. Yes, I forgot to dump out the iodophor.

Crap. Is there anything I can do here? If I boil it back down from 7.5 gallons to 5, will that cook out the iodine? Or will it still be undrinkable either way? It was a cheap brew at least, but that amount of time sunk into mashing and boiling makes me cry if I have to throw it all away.

I did this exact thing on the only batch I have ever done out of close to 300 batches that had to be dumped. There was always a harshness to it.

I almost never say this but you might just want to cut your losses in time and just dump it and move on.

Well I would toss it, unless of course you have nightmares about growing a humongous goiter that turns into another head and then eats the rest of your body. ;)

I took the advice and threw in the towel: after bringing it to a boil again then cooling it, still smelled like iodine. So I'll just be more careful in the future and maybe make up a quick extract batch this week or something to take its place if I get a chance.

Sorry it's lost.

Iodine is a no rinse cleaner and you only need a couple of litres at the most for a carboy.

Iodine is a poison if you drink to much,

Symptoms

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Esophageal stricture is a possible complication. Death is possible, though unlikely.

from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002658.htm

Ugh that suuuuccks.

Even if you tried to save it, I'm guessing there's no way those yeast survive either. Iodine is very poisonous to yeast.

I've escaped any major brain farts while brewing. *crosses fingers* Forgetting to stir priming sugar was a close one but I vented the bottles before they 'sploded.

I'm currently trying to figure out what the off flavors in my beer are. The only thing I've got left are Iodophor and my water. Have you guys ever had any off flavors from smaller amounts of iodophor base sanitizer getting into your brew?

Like say if I were to sanitize my kegs with it and then dump it out, but the keg never actually dried? I may be using it wrong, but I usually have a bucket o sanitizer and drop everything in. I use it and throw it back in the bucket till I need it again during the brew day.

Any help or pointers using iodophor would be appreciated.

I'm currently trying to figure out what the off flavors in my beer are. The only thing I've got left are Iodophor and my water. Have you guys ever had any off flavors from smaller amounts of iodophor base sanitizer getting into your brew?

Like say if I were to sanitize my kegs with it and then dump it out, but the keg never actually dried? I may be using it wrong, but I usually have a bucket o sanitizer and drop everything in. I use it and throw it back in the bucket till I need it again during the brew day.

Any help or pointers using iodophor would be appreciated.

You might start a new thread on this and ask for help. You should document all aspects of your brew day in your thread: recipe, all grain, pm or extract, water source etc.

The short answer is you will not get off flavors from the amount of iodophor you mention above. Most likely, your water (do you use your hose?) what kind of off flavor?

I had foam coming out of air lock on second day of fermentation . I moved it to carboy for more room continued to bubble for 1 more day then has pretty much stopped do you think that I ruined the beer by moving it

I had foam coming out of air lock on second day of fermentation . I moved it to carboy for more room continued to bubble for 1 more day then has pretty much stopped do you think that I ruined the beer by moving it

No get a clean airlock back on it if it stopped or put a blowoff tube on it if it is still foaming out of the airlock. Leave it for a few weeks then bottle. You may ruin or make it worse by having changed the temp of fermentation like 10 degrees or more and with most ale yeast if you go too low it may stall or quit, too high of ferm temps and you get all sorts of things you don't want your beer to taste like.

Back