Hop bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tie it off so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot and it will last for years to come.

Exo said:
Tie it off so it doesn't touch the bottom of the pot and it will last for years to come.

Thanks man! Much appreciated. Maybe I'll make one of those sweet looking hop bag contraptions I've seen on here! Then I'll never have to worry about it hitting the bottom.

BTW, anybody else here use plain old cheesecloth for hops and grains?

My first batch I forgot to buy a grain/hop bag. I used a LOT of cheesecloth and wasn't happy with the result. Couldn't get a big enough bag and I believe a lot of grain got out. That, and once it hit the water it expanded a bit making life more difficult.

Grain bags and hop bags are the way to go. Cheap enough for the no-hassle way.

Do you use hop bags with pelletized hops too? Or is it just for whole hops? The pelletized hops seem to disintegrate and disperse finely in solution as soon as they hit the boiling water in the kettle.

I use a hop bag simply because straining that out is a mess. You can whirlpool it, but I had still gotten some into the primary...

the cheapest hop bag you can buy is a pair of pantyhose!! put your hops in and tie a knot. cut the hose and tie another knot, insert hops, tie another knot. you could brew 4 to 5 batches on a cheap 1.59$ pair of hose...jmho

take that nylon hop bag and create one of these:

hop_bag%20003.jpg

others:

Hops%20in%20Strainer.JPG

Hop%20Strainer%201.JPG

ubt_may_06_028.jpg

I didn't get a clear answer on this, and I'm still not sure from looking at the pictures. Are those hop bags only useful if you are using whole hops? Are they effective for containing the debris from pelletized hops?

I really like your hop bag, brewhead. I'm going to make me one like it.

beer4breakfast said:
I didn't get a clear answer on this, and I'm still not sure from looking at the pictures. Are those hop bags only useful if you are using whole hops? Are they effective for containing the debris from pelletized hops?

you can use leaf or pellet hops with no problems. they are very effective. the reason we build these is so that you can toss your hops on schedule in the top and not have to worry about fishing out a hop bag or using multiple hop bags

beer4breakfast said:

As I've just discovered,

these things are awesome for hop pellets as well! No more 20 minute strains through the hop debris! My strainer was practically debris free!

Brewhead! Thanks for that! I didn't realize you used a metal band around the outside. The pictures from another angle explains a lot!

Also Brewhead, you just got a piece of PVC pipe and fit it over that and clamped it down?

yes very tightly. on the first example, which is third generation, i am using a step pipe coupling. it has a ridge that the clamp can rest against and offer more secure clampage - for when you're doing those huge hopped beers. also i used all thread rod and a nut on either side of the fitting to secure it in place. this is allows access with a spoon to do any stiring if you desire.

A few questions on these bags/holders.
Do you get full hops utilization when you confine it to the bag?
How well does it confine hop pellets. (seems like those things turn to very small bits when they hit the water)
When using finishing hops, is there any reason you would want some finishing hops to go into primary (as opposed to true dry hopping?)

I like my hops to float around the boil freely, to get maximum effect from them, but makes transferring wort a real pain.
Tim

Back