Stuff floating in my DIPA and lots of head..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
Question for the more experienced brewers.. We brewed a Midwest Hop Head Double IPA extract kit with Wyeast 1056 on June 12, and bottled the first week in July. My buddy and I brew together and this is our fourth batch.

The beers sit in my laundry room which stays about 73 degrees. I'll drink a couple of these a week, so I'll replenish the fridge about once a week. The last couple of weeks I've noticed that there's tons of stuff floating in the beer. I haven't determined if it's hops from the boil, the dryhopping process, or if it's yeast flocculation. In our other brews, the yeast has pretty much fallen to the bottom of the bottle and it's easy to decant the beer off of the yeast by being careful when pouring. This seems to come out no matter how careful I pour.

The beer also pours with a LOT of head - in that I have to set the bottle down two or three times to get everything but the last half inch out of a 12 oz bottle.

Is this normal? This is the first brew that we have brewed that I think is superb. We brewed the Midwest Amber Ale, Irish Red, and the Heffeweizen, but all of those pretty much tasted the same. The DIPA kit really tastes fantastic. Lately I reach for these over any commercial brews I have (It's been a long time since a four pack of DFH 90 minute has lasted more than a few days in my house.. I think I've had these two for about a month!)

Thanks for any advice!

Back