Do infections go away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
My nut brown ale was definitely infected. Sorry for the lack of pics but I didn't take any. Beer developed small gray bubbles on top that turned into big gray bubbles. I've let it sit in the bucket for a looooong time now and all of the bubbles have died down.

So, I'm about to rack this into a keg now and see what happens. I guess I'm just looking for back up to validate the fact that this can happen and it can end up ok. At least this is what I'm hoping

Cheers

My nut brown ale was definitely infected. Sorry for the lack of pics but I didn't take any. Beer developed small gray bubbles on top that turned into big gray bubbles. I've let it sit in the bucket for a looooong time now and all of the bubbles have died down.

So, I'm about to rack this into a keg now and see what happens. I guess I'm just looking for back up to validate the fact that this can happen and it can end up ok. At least this is what I'm hoping

Cheers

Well..........if you were making a sour beer it sounds like you're right on track!

It's funny you say that Yoop. My last attempt at this same beer ended up tasting a little funny at first. And after at least 6 months it still seemed unusual. The carbonation seemed to permeate the beer, but it wasn't really over carbed. It had a funny bite to it that seemed to almost take away your breath and make it hard to really distinguish the taste at all.

And the funny thing about it is, I just went to Philadelphia two weeks ago and found a small dive called the Monk's Cafe that served me a bottled beer that tasted almost exactly like mine! It was probably a 9 to $11 beer but I knew that taste as soon as it hit my lips!

And they also had their own house sour - a Monks Flemish Sour - which I hated. Guess I'm not much of a fan of sours. So I hope mine doesn't grow up to be a sour beer. But if it does, I'm gonna bottle it and charge $12 a pop!

Monk's Cafe Flemish Red is made by Van Steenberge, Belgium. It is supposed to be their BIOS - Vlaamse Bourgogne bottled under a private label. I like it. It sells for $3 a bottle locally.

I've got 7 gallons going that I'm trying to get something similar. It's been going for 8 months now and has a thin grey covering with a few large bubbles on it's surface. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Lambics and sours are an acquired taste 1 one I had was 40$ bottle a friend brought back from Belgium popped cork smelled like old gym shoes drank it can't say liked it. 5 years of homebrew later saw same on sale at store we tried again loved it tastebuds change/grow but 15years later love lambics great in the heat of summer. Save and wait.

Monk's Cafe Flemish Red is made by Van Steenberge, Belgium. It is supposed to be their BIOS - Vlaamse Bourgogne bottled under a private label. I like it. It sells for $3 a bottle locally.

Yep, that's the one. I'm sure it is very good for people who like sours because they did seem very proud of it. I guess my taste buds weren't ready for the style however and with this being my first sour I was not a big fan.

But with that said, I'd gladly try it again tomorrow if I lived in Philadelphia to see if I like it any better. That place was absolutely great! I had several fantastic Belgian beers to help me wash down my bucket of steamed mussels. Mmmmmmmmmm, mussels and beer!

It was funny because I had never heard of the place, but when we got back my local Specs had this same beer on the shelf! And they even had a little story underneath the shelf that told the story about how Monk's got that Vlaamse brewery to brew it for them. Once again, they are very proud of that beer.

Anyways, my beer tastes decent and maybe just a touch sour. I might keg it soon to get it off the yeast cake and see what happens. I'll report back if my nut brown ale turns into a Monk's Flemish Red!

Cheers

Back