Score!!!...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
2011-03-24193036.jpg

So my wife and I cooked dinner for my mother and her husband tonight and we're talking about brewing. I start bickering about how I want to do 5 gallons of apfelwine but until I actually get a glass carboy, I won't make it, and right now I really dont have the cash to pickup a carboy. Moms husband says "How big, 6.5 gallons? Well I have one in the basement from when I used to make wine 15 years ago, take it.."

Uhhh... SCORE!!!!!

Not quite an epic story but I'm excited and needed to express it.. Cheers!

Nothing wrong with that! That's awesome! Just be careful with that big boy. I usually stuff my 6.5 into a plastic milk crate to carry it around.

Awesome. I've been wanting a glass carboy for a while, but like you don't have the money to buy one. Wish I could find one too!

Nice free pickup! Sometimes mother's boyfriends do serve a purpose haha. I'm pretty much in the same boat, want to do 5 gallon batches, but can't really spend cash on a 6.5 carboy now, especially since I also want glass. Too bad my mom's boyfriend is a plumber with no past brewing history

I've made apfelwine, and I've made Brandon O's Graff.

Out of the two, I really dig the apfelwine the most. While both are good, the graff is ready to drink faster, and has some nice body. The apfelwine gets bone dry. It's good with some age on it, but you can't really drink it young.

Congrats on the carboy score.

I can't wait.. I've always loved Cider, but I made the mistake of drinking Scrumpy Jack while in London and since then no cider has compared. Strongbow can satisfy the itch sometimes but it is still to fruity and not dry enough. This Apfelwein sounds like it is just what the doctor ordered..

I've got high hopes

Having just bought 2 brand new 6 gallon carboys, I'm jealous. (tho $28 shipped is kind of a score)

Latest posts

Back