Maximizing Dry-Uopping Effectiveness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I am making another IPA this weekend. Going for mid weight, medium bitterness but lots of late flavor and aroma from Amarillo and Simcoe whole hops.
I have Dryhopped with 2oz of whole hops before in my 5gal carboy but I am thnking that using a lot more wont add that much more aroma due to the relatively limited surface area in the CB. My thought is to rack to secondary into 2 5G carboys (about half full of course) and dry hop with 2-4oz in each. Then combine thm back again when I keg it.
Would this help the "efficiency" of the dry hopping effect? or not worth the trouble.
Anyone tried this or dealt with this idea?
Thanks.

No, the process is one of leaching the oils out of the hops and has nothing to do with surface area. I would recommend a bucket or a keg for serious dry hopping. You can bag the hops and add marbles to force them into the ale. I let them go for a week, then if the batch needs more, take the first bag out & put another in. My Bent Rod Rye got three dry hoppings.

I was just listening to a podcast on late hop additions; this might be something for you to explore. Basically, cut your bittering hops back quite a bit (or drop them entirely), and instead throw in a crapload of flavor hops. The utilization is not as good, so you'll need a lot more total hops, but in addition to the bitterness you'll get a boadload of flavor. Play around with ProMash/BeerSmith/BeerTools to see what kind of additions you would need at 30, 15, and 5 minutes to get your target IBUs.

This is the techique I'm planning on playing around with for my next IPA, although I do want it bitter as well; I want to have a TON of hop flavor, a la Stone Ruination and their 10th Anniversary IPA.

You can still play around with dryhopping, but that's only going to help the aroma aspect, not the flavoring,

Back