Threw together some extracts. . . OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cafeviking

Reaction score
While I am building my AG set-up, I decided to throw together some extracts that were given to me. They were: 3.3lb LME Pilsen Light, 4lb Cooper's LME "lager", 1lb DME. I also steeped a few grains for flavour and colour (which turned out to be too much colour). They were roughly equal portions of Munich, Caramunich, and Chocolate Rye at 1.6lbs. I also added a .75lb of malto-dextrin. After my 1hr boil I brought 2.5gals of wort to 76° in about 25 minutes. My OG was 1.048, which adjusting for temp according to thermometer was 1.050.

Isn't that a little lean for the amount of sugars I should have in there? If so, what would cause this? I don't think I had any bubbles on the hydrometer.

(on a side note, the Simcoe/Cascade combo smells soooo goooood)

Since you didn't say how much Munich, Caramunich or Chocolate Rye you used, I just ran the extract through my spreadsheet and came up with an estimated OG of 1.044 at 70% extract efficiency. So depending how much of the other grains you used, it could be a little lean, but I am assuming you didn't use that much of any of them, so I'd say 1.048 could be about right.

I edited my post but not soon enough! Thanks for the info. I guess my calculations were off, I was thinking 1.058. .

I get 1.060 just from the extract which is always 100% efficiency. You probably didn't mix well enough before taking a reading. (7.3X36/5 + 1X40/5=1.060)

Back