Black Ice IPA-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweed

Reaction score
Named because it's so freakin cold out already! I made this one up on the fly at my lhbs. It's a small batch- 3 gallons.

3 lbs light dme
1 lb dark dme
8 oz debittered black (no carafa 3)
8 oz 120 crystal
8 oz 40 crystal (had spare at home)
8 oz corn sugar
4 oz chinook
2 oz centennial
2 oz simcoe
1 pkg s-05

Yes, a lot of hops, that's what I'm going for

1 oz each of centennial and simcoe at 60.
1 oz centennial at 15
1 oz each of chinook and simcoe at 10
1 oz of chinook at 5

2 oz of chinook for dry hopping. I might go back for another oz, lol

There were too many bubble trying to get an accurate OG, but it's around 1.080.

I'm going for a very piney resinous, with light citrus/ floral flavor and aroma. It's a first using chinook, so I'm excited to see how this goes.

Rack this guy to the secondary just now. The gravity is right around 1.020, not sure if it may drop another point or 2 in the next week, but we'll see. I can't wait to try a sample.

ForumRunner_20130116_190244.png

I'm looking to make this recipe but for a 5 gallon batch. How much DME would you use

Depends on where you want the avb to be. If around the same as mine, I would use 7lbs, and the corn sugar at 1 lb. Hops would be a little over 13 oz compared to my 3 gallons.

Wow thats a lot of hops for 3 gallons. What was your IBUs on this?

My Black IPA that I have planned will be 4oz of hops for 5G and thats going to hit close to 80 IBUs. Chinook, Cascade, Centenial and Dr. Rudi (NZ) Going to bitter with Chinook and some Dr. Rudi.

Let us know how that turns out.

Wow thats a lot of hops for 3 gallons. What was your IBUs on this?

My Black IPA that I have planned will be 4oz of hops for 5G and thats going to hit close to 80 IBUs. Chinook, Cascade, Centenial and Dr. Rudi (NZ) Going to bitter with Chinook and some Dr. Rudi.

Let us know how that turns out.

I've used 4oz of hops (I think 1oz for bittering) for a 2.5 gallon batch and it is not bitter at all. I heard chinook for bittering isn't that great and can have some bad taste to it? From what I've read. Never heard of Dr. Rudi!? Lol

I'll check my ibu's right now, and will edit. I don't think it'll be too high?

Edit: brewr app showed. 79.6 ibu's. I only calculated the bittering hops, the late addition hope won't contribute to much bitterness.

I bottled this tonight and let me tell you, I really like the chinook in this. It's the first time using it, and it gave me what I wanted. That piney, resinous, floral goodness. This turned out bitter! In a good way. I haven't made an ipa that had been really bitter like an ipa should be. Great color, mouth feel, and finish. I didn't think it would turn out this black for some reason. This will be perfect on those cold nights. I haven't had a beer yet this year (!! I know!!) And this is leaving me warm after not even a glass.
I ended up with less than I thought, and primed according for 3 gallons, I lost a good amount after losing some to all the yeast, hops, trub, etc. I'll try one right before I leaving for Seattle for my brothers wedding next week, then I'll have another when I get back. I hope they don't get too over carbonated. Maybe if they are carbed up next week I should put them all in the fridge to keep from getting over carbed while I'm gone? Thoughts?

And now for the black ice goodness!

ForumRunner_20130122_194122.png

Good to hear the Black Ice is good. I'll look at my options for not bittering with the chinook now.

Trying this after 2 weeks in the bottle. Such a good beer for this snowy weather!
I now want to experiment with different hops to change it to a spring and summer black ipa. Great color and lace. Smell of pine and resin, just what I was going for. Sticky!

ForumRunner_20130208_172434.png

ForumRunner_20130208_172452.png

Back