BIAB bags at bed bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
Found a 36x24 polyester laundry bag at bed bath today for 3 bucks in sale. Fits a keggle perfect!

Looks exactly like the size mesh a bought for grains from morebeer but much longer and with the drawstring.

do you have a pic? The only laundry bags I have would let unpopped popcorn through.

It's pretty fine. Just like the ones I bought specifically made for BIAB. Its a polyester voile material. Like curtain sheers

image-1971853423.jpg

Also, check to see if the seams are double stitched. It's be a shame to have them split when lifting the bag. How did it go? subscribed.

Very interested to hear if these work/are strong enough. I've decided that if I go 10g. setup it will likely be single-vessel BIAB no-sparge...so I'd like to know if these bags will work.

Was out running errands and picked on up at my local BB&B. Was labeled as $5.99 but rang up at the register at $2.99 + 20% off coupon came to $2.59.

It appears to be a coarse polyester and double stitched, although the thread on mine is thinner than my Home Depot paint strainer bags.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

That is 24" across when flat, or 24" diameter?

I ask because my pot is wider and shorter than a keggle. I already made a nice bag for mine, but I'd sure love to have some cheap spares.

That is 24" across when flat, or 24" diameter?

I ask because my pot is wider and shorter than a keggle. I already made a nice bag for mine, but I'd sure love to have some cheap spares.

Just took a quick measurement and it appears to be 24" when flat.

I NOW have one of wilserbrewer bag and his bags are great. Better design and as far as I can tell, better stitching. If I look at the weave under a magnifying glass, the bed bath is very close but slightly bigger.. I have now used the bed bath one for 2 small batches, did not leave a bunch of junk behind and was plenty strong enough. Beer cam out great, one still conditioning. When I do a big brew with a big grain bill, I will definitely grab wilsers first. From now on, I will use wilsers because many guys have them and can attest to how good they are. I don't have any history really with the others to compare it to. The others will now be a standby bag and the unopened one may never get used as long as the better one keeps working (wilsers is definitely better) so, hope that helps.

Just wanted to express my complete and total amazement that someone who paid $35 for a voile bag thinks that theirs is much superior to a $2.59 bag of similar construction, despite having never used said $2.59 bag.

I'll be using it this weekend and will try to report back on its performance. I'm a longtime user of the paint strainer bags and this should allow me to mash more grain and hopefully reduce a bit of that flour that ends up in my boil.

Dakskin +1

I have used the paint strainers as well and they work great too!! Especially for my smaller batches.

Nice find - I'll have to pick one of these up this weekend - I actually need one for some laundry too and might as well have a third bag.

Props+ for Wilser's bags, they are very well made, and custom fit to my kettle. That said, I will no doubt pick up one of these others for back up.

How would the Paint Strainer bag, or the BBB bag work if the grain was crushed finer than normal? Using BIAB, a stuck sparge is not a consideration, so there is some advantage to a tighter crush.
But would this fall through the bag?

How would the Paint Strainer bag, or the BBB bag work if the grain was crushed finer than normal? Using BIAB, a stuck sparge is not a consideration, so there is some advantage to a tighter crush.
But would this fall through the bag?

Flour falling through is not an issue. Husks falling through would be, so making complete dust out of the grain isn't a good idea. However, yes, a finer crush does benefit BIAB'ers as the bags keep out more particles while the finer crush gives greater access to sugars.

I used one of these bags for a mini mash and it worked perfectly. Don't think I will be ordering any bag for my all grain biab in the future. This is a great bag.

I went to BBB (Bed Bath Beyond) to look at the bag.

1. It doesn't say what the material is. How do you know its Nylon or Polyester?

2. Its made in China so I am concerned its not safe to use in my mash tun. Maybe if its washed a few times it will be.

3. It appears to be fine mesh, which I assume is good, though water may take a while slowing through the material.

They also have a cotton laundry bag for $1 more. ($8 I think)
Its 24' x 36'.
A 24" bag fits a 15" diameter brewpot.
Any problems with that?
Will the cotton shrink much? 10%?
If it does shrink a lot the bag might not fit.

I went to BBB (Bed Bath Beyond) to look at the bag.

1. It doesn't say what the material is. How do you know its Nylon or Polyester?

2. Its made in China so I am concerned its not safe to use in my mash tun. Maybe if its washed a few times it will be.

3. It appears to be fine mesh, which I assume is good, though water may take a while slowing through the material.

They also have a cotton laundry bag for $1 more. ($8 I think)
Its 24' x 36'.
A 24" bag fits a 15" diameter brewpot.
Any problems with that?
Will the cotton shrink much? 10%?
If it does shrink a lot the bag might not fit.

Cotton promotes growth (mold, bacteria, etc), don't use it.

Cotton promotes growth (mold, bacteria, etc), don't use it.

This is true, but whatever it promoted is about to be boiled for an hour or more too, which pretty much lessens the impact. OTH, it is just so much easier to deal with cleaning, and drying nylon, not to mention the danger of a cotton bag tearing under the weight of BIAB grains, why bother?

So we did a BIAB with this bag this weekend, and I have to say it worked great. I love that I can now mash the full volume in my MT/BK. The finer mesh does indeed keep more draff out of the boil, and I'd say there's a minor reduction in flour as well, but nothing huge. The bag is definitely sturdier than the paint strainers, and the drawstring is a big big plus. I find the elastic on the paint strainers wears out after a few uses on the paint strainers and I have to buy a new one. That won't happen with this bag. This bag is also easier to clean- the tighter mesh means that any grain that sticks to the bag rinses right off like a sheet of plastic. Overall, a great bag and I'll recommend it to anyone.

A few things to note, cons of the bigger bag- because the bag is so much larger than the diameter of my pot (I have a tall and skinny 7.5 gallon pot), there is some bunching which can make stirring and squeezing tricky if you don't take the time to carefully arrange the bag before you dough in. I didn't do this and definitely will next time and don't think it will be an issue. Also, I occasionally direct-fire my BIAB for a step mash or some other reason just by heating up the BK and holding the bag slightly off the bottom. This works fine for me, but all the extra material and hanging strings makes this a more complicated proposition.

Awesome. I am using it right now for the first time and have a pic of the bag on a cooler in a post on this forum under semi BIAB brewing.

daksin said:
Also, I occasionally direct-fire my BIAB for a step mash or some other reason just by heating up the BK and holding the bag slightly off the bottom. This works fine for me, but all the extra material and hanging strings makes this a more complicated proposition.

Can you try rolling the bag down so its less long? Might help.

I love my wilserbrewer bag (15 gallon pot). I use a paint strainer for my one gallon batches, but they seem to wear out quickly. I will be ordering 2 more from wilserbrewer but im trying to find a deal on a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon stainless pot. Ive done 5 or 6, 6 to 10 gallon batches with the big bag and it still looks new.

Here are a few photos. It fits my 9 gallon kettle in circumference, but is too tall. I just doubled it up on the outside of the pot and used the drawstring to keep it in place. I kept the bag just off the bottom of the pot.

image-700262492.jpg

image-3302815768.jpg

Wow, looks like it would be great for my 9 gallon pot. I went the "lazy" route and used unsewn voile curtain. It would be adventageous to have a drawstring to keep the bag off the bottom instead of a colander, which I accidently left in for the boil, that restricts the grains.

Good find!

Gentlemen, I just acquired a 11.4g European keg. Once cut I will want the option of doing full volume BIAB, so I wonder if this will fit? I may also contact our good friend WilserBrewer though, too., early stages of project!

Latest posts

Back