3rd batch done.. I may be catching on..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So did my 3rd batch Thursday morning before heading out to the pub. I did the Coopers Wheat Beer kit with the "alcohol boost" from Austin Brewing. This was my first try at a few new things so I wanted a nice easy kit. The Coopers kit was cake.

This is my first run with my new magnetic stirrer. I did my starter Tuesday night and just left it on the stirrer until I was ready for it on Thursday morning. Dispite my bad luck with them, I used a Wyeast 3333: German Wheat. It's been over 48 hours now since I pitched and there is still a steady stream of bubbles coming through the airlock, so I think it worked this time.

Another first for me was aerating. I picked up a $10 aquarium pump. It's for 15-30 gallon tanks and has two output hoses. I zippy tied the hoses to a clean and sterilized metal rod I made from a coat hanger. I let it aerate for about 40 minutes.

Finally, sadly also a first, I remember to take my OG reading before adding the yeast! 1.056

I also stumbled on a way to cool my wart in a decent amount of time. I leave the stopper on the sink about 3/4th on. I can then adjust the water flow to where it's can just perfectly keep it refilled. Once I got down to 115F I topped it off with the 2 gallons of pre-chilled water and I was sitting comfortably at 80F. It dropped a few more degrees when I added the pre-hopped Coopers extract.

Next up is a partial mash IPA and then I may try my hand at an AG. Thanks for all the help and advice over the past month!

I always forget to take my gravity reading before pitching the yeast! I don't know why but I get in the zone and just forget haha.

You will enjoy partial mash. I just did my first PM today, a dogfish 60 minute IPA clone. It was alot of fun.

What happens if you take the OG after pitching the yeast? Does it just skew the reading or something worse? Just did my first ever brew yesterday and made that mistake. I was worried that we'd just taken out half the yeast I pitched in moments before.

What happens if you take the OG after pitching the yeast? Does it just skew the reading or something worse? Just did my first ever brew yesterday and made that mistake. I was worried that we'd just taken out half the yeast I pitched in moments before.

I think your reading will be fine, but people just worry about removing some of the yeast in the fermentor.

Your reading won't change 'til fermentation starts which won't begin immediately. I would say if you took your reading within 24 hours, it should be pretty accurate.

NRS

I don't know if it was the temp I pitched at or keeping the starter on the stir plate for 48 hours or the 40 mins of aeration I pumped into it, but at almost 4 full days and the airlock is still going pretty regularly :)

I know the airlock isn't the only sign of fermentation, but seeing it bubbling still after 4 full days is nice. Both my previous two batches were pretty much done after 48 hours or so.

Back