trouble holding temp down with first dopple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantose

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm brewing a doppelbock using an octoberfest yeast and due to poor planning and warmer temperatures all of a sudden I can't seem to hold the temp much under 70. It's about a day and a half into the primary and the temp seems to be holding steady.

Any tips on fighting off flavors? I'm already getting a bit of a buttery smell off it.

well, i think what's done is done. aging will be your best friend now... those lager yeasts will throw off some funk when you get out of the temp range. try a water bath or something to get it down but i think the majority of off flavors are produced during the first few days of fermentation (especially since you've got it at 70).

It's sitting in a water bath with the carboy wearing a wet tee shirt (need to get a pic of that) that's only knocking off about 5 degrees (little over 70 down to a little under.) I've been trying to keep some ice in the bin it's sitting in too but it melts too fast to be effective.

Well, it's now bottled. The bottle time tasting had no buttery/butterscotch flavors so I think I'm in the clear as far as that.

I managed to screw something else up though, while heating the priming solution it boiled over in the microwave losing I'm guessing about half. I was thinking about adding some corn sugar to make up for the loss, but decided to just rune with it and risk under carbonating. I can always go back and reprime the bottles if it's too bad.

I'm trying a set of flip tops that I recently bought. I'm hoping they hold a seal better than the 1 L fliptops I've got.

Back