Twist Off question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyhoel

Reaction score
So a friend of mine is an old school homebrewer from England. I was relating my quest to find more bottles and he said that twist offs work fine. I was skeptical until he brought over a couple brews that were bottled 5 years ago. Perfectly carbonated. I need some old school experts to explain why others do not do this. Please help.

Twist offs usually cap fine with a bench capper; with a handheld wing capper, it's tougher to get them capped right.

For a long-term beer, I'd use pry-offs since there's a little less chance of a screwup, but there's no real reason you can't use twist-offs with a good bench capper.

For the record, I have had several beers from Founders that had pry-off tops on twist-off bottles and had no issue with carb. I personally have never done it but if Founders can do it then why can't we? But i do agree SumnerH, bench capper would be best.

I don't do it because it is a proven fact that twist off caps will undermine the quality of your ingredients, degrade them by contamination, and defeat all you brewing skills producing a beer that is sub standard in every way.

It's ok to use the twist offs, if you can cap them well. One of the issues with some of them is that the glass is much thinner around the threads, so many people have broken the necks of the bottles when pressing down with a hand capper.

The thin glass argument makes sense. He has warned me repeatedly about breaking bottle necks and now I know why.

Instead of starting a new thread, I actually searched.. LOL.. good to know others had good luck w/ twist tops.

anyway. my local Beer store that sells only microbrews or specialty beers (no coors, bud or whathave you) have a beer tasting once a month and they give away all the empties.. well this time around the empties wer all twist offs. I tried my black buety caper and it looked like a good seal, put some water in it and left it upside down for some time nothing came out. I may pour some coke in one and test it after a good shack.
anyway I noticed the threads were thicker and less threads, than that of the coors light bottles my wife drinks.
has anyone else ever noticed this? I'll have to look at what the beer type is again since it's slipped my brain right now.

One more note from my veteran brewer friend. He said he would not even use a capper! He would just twist them back on while using a towel for a strong grip.

Back