A little help needed....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I am brewing a holiday ale extract right now and have a question. I added the liquid extract and of course it dropped my wort to below a boil. I added the hops after it had all dissolved, but it wasn't boiling yet. Should I start the hour once the boil starts, or when I added the hops? Thanks for the help.

According to everything I've read, including Palmer's book, the clock starts when you add the hops. The whole point of a timed boil, as I understand it, is to extract the correct amount of bitterness, flavor and aroma from the hops.

Ideally, you want to:

1. start your boil and get your water rolling
2. remove the pot from the heat and stir in extract
3. return to heat and boil whole thing to a boil
4. boil hard until you get a hot break (big boil up, this may be rather small with extract and usually takes about 10m of hard boil time)
5. start boil timer when the hot break hits
6. if you have 60 hop additions, add them after the break and start your timer

In your case, just start the 60 minutes when you added the hops, you are liely still hot enough to be isomerizing the AA. RDWHAHB... you will make beer

Back