Wort gushing out of my brewpot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I had the burner flame up to high and wasn't paying attention. I went inside to get something(get the score of a football game) and my wife screamed that the wort was overflowing!!!I ran outside and It was gushing out. I lowered the flame. My only problem was I lost some beautiful wort...When I finshed and took an OG reading it read 1.036. It was suppose to be between 1.040-1.044. Since I lost a bunch of wort I had to add alittle extra water. This is my first boil over. What can I expect interms of taste? Will it be watery or low ABV?

Next time I will have a spray bottle on hand...

It will be a little lower ABV, but .05 really doesn't make that much of a difference. I wouldn't worry about it tasting watery since I am assuming you didn't lose that much wort. Live and learn, boil overs will happen at least once to everyone.

Well any beer below 1.040 is going to be pretty light, but whether or not it seems "watery" at that low gravity is going to depend on the recipe.

I know I say this a lot, but foam control drops really are worth their weight in gold - spend $7 once and you won't have to worry about boilovers again (or blowoff during fermentation, if you use it there too)...

If it's like any of my previous brews, the yeast will take care of the watery character and you won't even notice it in the next couple weeks. Next time, turn down the burner to medium or so until after the hot break. Then crank that sucker up full blast.

I do have to say that since I surrounded my burner with sheet metal it boils very fast. This was the first time I used it. There's a lot of wind whipping on my deck. The sheet metal worked great. I think I saw Kaiser use a wooden barrier in one of his vid's. Thanks Kaiser.

Latest posts

Back