Oatmeal Stout Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wyeast 1084
Yeast Starter
2000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
1.048-1.051
Final Gravity
1.010-1.013
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
This is a very good Stout I try to have some on hand all the time.
Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/28/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Joe
Boil Size: 6.02 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.4 %
0.18 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.25%] (60 min) Hops 31.8 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 31.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.18 lb
Sparge Water: 4.25 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.48 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F 90 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.0
Pressure/Weight: 11.3 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 50.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Toast oats on cookie sheet at 325F for 75 minuets

this looks like a fantastic recipe just what im looking for for my mates wedding stout. are flaked oats like breakfast quaker oats? The kind you make porridge with? I've had the samuel smith oatmeal stout and loved it. how close is this recipe?

Just make sure you buy "instant" oats, otherwise you'll need to gelatinize first before adding to your mash.

Just make sure you buy "instant" oats, otherwise you'll need to gelatinize first before adding to your mash.

Do you really toast the flaked oats for 75 minutes? Seems like they would be burnt to a crisp after that long at 325F

Does toasting the oats get you all of the smokey flavor that I found in SS? I was thinking I maay have to mix in some smoked malt.

I've toasted oats for an Oatmeal Cookie Stout before and they really do take quite some time to get toasted.

I wondered about the baking temp as well. I bake granola at 250F for 60 minutes, but that has added sugar. Using dry oats may definitely take longer to get the browning. I would definitely turn on the oven light and check frequently!

Eric

It's tasty - chocolate, coffee, hint of vanilla. Slight hint of head, I was thinking of adding 1/2 lb flaked barley next time to improve it.

FWIW, this recipe is the same as the one in Clone Brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulksi.

One thing to note is that this book is geared to the extract brewer. Although they give all grain equivalents, all of their recipes say to mash at a sacch rest of 150F. I would probably try something closer to 154F for this particular beer.

Just had my first taste of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (store bought).

It is really well done, five bucks a quart, worth every penny I might add. I just would like to save some change and brew it if it is close to the original.

Has anyone brewed this one, and can tell me if it is a close clone to the original?

I've brewed other beers out of Clone Brews and they are fairly close. Sometimes they differ from common knowledge, but the new version of their book may have corrected some of this. In particular, I have brewed their Old Rasputin clone and it was very very close. And after a few years behind it, was one of my all time favorite brews, even compared to anything commercially available. Why didn't the OP give proper credit?

i just finished making this beer. brewed it exactly as this recipe calls for. i ended up with 85% efficiency so my brew is estimated to be at 6.3%. i mashed at 151 and only lost 1 degree over the 90 minute mash. Only my second all grain so im pleased so far! will have in primary for 3 weeks, then keg. I will update this post once carbed up. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is probably my favorite stout so im really looking forward to it.

sorry! i forgot to repost after it was carbed. I dont feel like it was an exact clone of SS, but it was a good oatmeal stout. Next time i would definitely mash higher, probably around 154. Other than that, i definitely enjoyed it.

I am kind of new to this so heres a newb question. Do you steep the chocalate malt and roasted barley ? Also, when do are you adding your oats ? Or are all the ingredients added to the mash ?

I am kind of new to this so heres a newb question. Do you steep the chocalate malt and roasted barley ? Also, when do are you adding your oats ? Or are all the ingredients added to the mash ?

The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you would just mash everything together. I have not made this recipe yet, but plan to for my next stout. Now that the weather is getting colder (even here in Arizona), I have dark brews on the brain. :) I plan to add about 1/2 lb flaked wheat to the recipe to give it a little extra body and head retention since others have mentioned that it lacks a little in that dept. I also plan to mash higher, around 154 since it is a stout after all. Good luck to all who make this. I plan to give a description of the brewing process for this one and what the resultant brew is like. Stay tuned!

Any thoughts on this recipe with some orange peel in it? I'd like to something a little christmasy without going over the top with a xmas ale.
How much orange peel and what about some cinamon?

I've just put this on gas and in two days I'll take a small sample to see its potential. I used Notty dry yeast on this and I got SG 1050 and FG 1013 so it wont be too dry or too sweet. I'll be back with some tasting notes later on and any thoughts on adjusting the recipe if I think it needs it.

OK, I have the ingredients for this recipe and I'm gonna try brewing it this week. Any last minute advice from those who have made this recipe before?

I added .5lb flaked barley, .5lb flaked wheat and .5lb carapils to the original recipe and plan to mash at 154F. And I use a 90min mash and 90min boil right?

PS I toasted the flaked oats for about 90 minutes until they looked "right". They taste pretty smokey now, I hope I didn't over do it.

PS I toasted the flaked oats for about 90 minutes until they looked "right". They taste pretty smokey now, I hope I didn't over do it.

That sure seems like a long time. I did 20-25 minutes at 350F. Even then, I found that they added a harsh astringency to the beer. I've since learned that it's recommended (for any toasted grain) to let it rest for a week or more in a paper bag. The more toasted, the more they should rest to let the harsh whatever-they-are's caused by the Maillard reactions blow off.

How to Brew talks about this in the context of malt, but Mosher recommends the same for toasted oats in Radical Brewing, and Lewis in Stout talks about the astringency of oats even before toasting.

Also, not sure why you're adding flaked barley, flaked wheat and carapils. I would maybe add the flaked barley to help with head retention, but then you don't need the wheat and as far as the carapils, you're already using 0.5# of caramel malt to provide some unfermentables and your mash temp will help that as well.

With respect to the mash, you probably only need to rest at 154F for 40 minutes, but 60 minutes will be plenty.

Good luck!

Just kegged this after a month in primary. Only changes I did were I used about 3#'s 2-row and 5#'s marris otter, and fuggles for bittering. I only needed to toast my oats for about 25 mins to get the effect I wanted (burned the first batch). Mash and boil was 60 mins.

Looking forward to this one. Smells and tastes great. Will update after I tap the keg in another two weeks.

EDIT- forgot to add I mashed at 154

so it seems like the only solid response we've gotten was from nootay back in sept.

next brew i do is going to be a stout. i just cant settle on one. (btwn SS oat stout clone, guiness draght clone, O'flannigan standard)

im looking to brew a stout with light/medium - medium body and good drinkability (smooth and creamy). this sounds like a great recipe, however, it doesnt have nearly as much feedback as the other two brew recipes i mentioned.

what are your thoughts HBTers?

UPDATE:
This was a huge hit at the party. Pours awesome with thick creamy head that laces well. As others had said though, the head dissipates quickly. A 1/2# of flaked barley would take care of that. It tastes of your standard stout, black coffee with a hint of vanilla and dark chocolate. The toasted oats are barely detectable but give it a smooth velvety texture that's just perfect. Bitterness seems to be right were it needs to be. The recipe seems to be a great starting point for making a spiced / winter beer as well. I may try and do one of the oatmeal cookie stouts using this recipe as the base.

I haven't had a SS oatmeal stout in years so I can't really compare it.

Will be making this for sure again. Its probably one of my best all grain beers to date.

I just made this a few months ago, and did not change much. I bumped the oats to a full pound and used s-04 yeast, but everything is pretty much as is. It came out very good. After about 3 weeks, it still was very flat and uncarbed. However, it is now in the bottles for about 5 weeks and it has a good head and a really nutty flavor.

It's very good, but I just wish I had an original right now to do a side by side. This is definitely one I will do again.

For all grain they are added to the mash.

I have never done a partial on this recipe but if you were you'd steep the specialty grains.

Just mashed in my first batch of this at 0800 this morning......remembered to toast the oats. MW was out of the yeast, just going to pitch Nottingham.

This will be my 2nd all grain brew. My 1st was BIAB. And this is the first time using a mash tun. Going to kick things off in an hour. Wish me luck!

Brew day went great! Had a guy over who has been brewing a long time so he walked me through everything and gave me some great tips. Everything was easier than I thought and we sampled much homebrew.

Right now it's fermenting like crazy. I've never had this much foam in any batch of beer i've ever made. Took off less than 12 hours after adding the yeast. Can't wait to drink it!

The only changes I made was to increase the roasted barly to .5lb and add .5lb of flaked barly.

Dumb question - I've had this in primary for 29 days today. Does it need a secondary, and if so for how long? If it doesn't need a secondary, can I keg it, purge the headspace, and store it in the garage until fridge space comes open?

Doesn't need secondary. Just keg it and purge. I generally store cold but if your cleaning methods are up to scratch then no problem storing at room temp in the keg.

I try to be fastidious about sanitation (PBW soak followed by running Star San through the keg and tap), but will store it in the fridge if I can. It's actually a present, so I'm hoping to be tapping this by Christmas!

Bottled my first batch today- been in the fermenter since the first of November, hadn't been able to get back to it due to the holiday. Smells good.....this batch was up for an experimental bottling in plastic bottles (I did several tests on just a few of these bottles in two other batches, just to do a "proof of concept."), and we shall see.

Went to keg this last week....it smelled horrible and didn't taste much better, but no sign of infection, so I'm going to let it ride and see what happens. Probably a screw up in my mash and/or chilling process. /sigh

Good beer. I bottled this up about a week ago and just opened 1 up tonight. Gonna brew this again for sure.

I brewed the extract version of this right after Christmas. Wish I would have found this thread before I brewed, I would have added the flaked barley. Too late now. It was kegged about a week ago, I will be sampling it this weekend.
Smelled and tasted pretty good after secondary. Not much head retention in the test sample I poured at kegging, but hoping for the best!

Back