Adding malt flavor after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy_Brewer

Reaction score
I was thinking of ways to fix an overly attenuated beer, with low malt flavor. And wondered if anyone had tried adding steeped specialty grains, which had been boiled and cooled to a finished beer? If so what grains would add maltiness without overly darkening the beer?

Doesn't Aromatic malt need to be mashed? Or can I steep it just to extract the malt flavor, since I'm not really concerned about fermentables at this point?

I considered lactose, but I was wanting more maltiness than sweetness. I am thinking about adding malto-dextrin to boost the body.

Thanks for your replies.

Any unfermentable sugar will make your beer seem maltier. I'm not saying you can't steep some grain and get a similar effect, but most of us have experience backsweetening rather than back-mashing (or whatever you want to call it) in order to achieve the result you're looking for.

Honestly, I'd brew up a similar, but overly malty beer and mix them.

If this is already fermented, you don't want to be steeping grains or anything like that at this point.

And BTW, don't ever boil the grains.

Back