New Walk-In Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been given the go ahead to build a walk in cooler/kegerator cool room in my friends garage.

My question lies with the cooling aspect. I have seen others using a window air conditioner and some temp control. That seems to be the route I will go as the area itself isn't terribly huge.

That said; I have seen a product called Cool Bot that seems to be what I am looking for. Little pricey though. I have and currently use an STC1000 or ITC1000 for my fermentation control. Just wondering if that would work in this scenario as well? And by work I mean do a sufficient job and not sub par. Or will the temp probe "interfere" with the on board control for the AC unit?

I have seen several of these builds on here in the past so I apologize if this have been hashed out already. Looking for input from people with experience on this.

TIA.

CoolBot went after the coldsnap guys for patent infringement - I'm surprised that one is still up as the original site was taken down.

I just built a small cold room out of small basement closet using LG 6,000 BTU A/C and one ITC1000. The AC's probe was just hanging around the front fins of the unit, so I pulled it into to the back of the unit. I thought that would be enough to fool the AC (set to the lowest setting 60F) into running, when ITC gives it a signal, but my basement gets cold enough overnight that the AC was running the fan only but not the compressor at times. So I pulled the AC's temp probe all the way out of the box (via enlarged gap in the back vent holes) and wired a small halogen bulb close to it to the ITC cold ports, so it warms-up the AC's probe every time the the ITC goes to cool. My closet is really small, only about 48"x16"x66", so the space is cold in no time. Testing the capacity before putting in my beer I got little ice in one keg after couple days of running the probe in another keg at 34F. The AC blows about 20F air when running. I may put in additional small fan inside the cold room to keep the air moving around the kegs and not only the 2-3 times a day the AC runs. With the Wyoming dry air I do not get any freeze up on the fins or condensation coming out the back of the AC, but it's winter now, so I am only cautiously optimistic and waiting to see what kind of problems summer brings. I think wiring second ITC on top of the current one with a sensor at the AC fins and set to around freezing temps should do the trick.

Back