Do I leave the hops in after boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
This is my recipe for my first extract brew:

1lb dark spray malt
100g brown sugar
12g goldin hops
yeast

I'm planning to boil it all for 45 minutes. After which, do I leave the hops in for the whole ferment?

Most people strain the hops out when they transfer to the fermenter. But it won't ruin the beer if you don't. I assume that is a 4L (1 gallon) batch?

I would. That will also help with aerating the wort. But with a small volume like that you could also just pick the thing up and give it a good shake too. :D

He means to aerate it. Aerating 5 gallons is a bit of a pain if you have to resort to the shaking method but even I could shake a one gallon container!

Soooo.... You're saying, cook it all for 45min, then filter out hops with sieve, and shake it to airate. Then pitch yeast?

Don't forget to cool it before moving it to the fermenter. Cool it to about 70 degrees by putting the pot in your sink with an ice bath. Then strain it.

I thought I'd add the flip side, to help you relax a little bit.

There's nothing wrong with leaving hops in there too. :) It won't hurt your beer.

Most people DO strain it because it makes clearer beer in the end but most of it will be removed from your beer as it settles in primary and especially if you use a secondary.

Good luck on the first brew, and welcome to the hobby!

Back