Sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kubed

Reaction score
I’m sure there’s a thread on this, but for the life of me I couldn’t find it. What’s the protocol on sanitizing bottles in a washing machine? I ended up using starsan in the bottles after I ran them though once, but I’ve heard that bottles coming out of the washer after a heat drying are ok.

I start by running the dishwasher once with soap, then once with no soap. Then I run several dry cycles in a row to make absolutely sure Everythings dead

The first and only time I bottled, I took my CLEAN bottles, then filled each with a one step solution and took a bottle brush to them, dumped it out, soaked again, then put straight into the dishwasher and ran it without soap. Didn't have a problem at all. Be sure to do the heated dry and then let them cool before thinking about putting anything in the bottles.

atxstanley said:
The first and only time I bottled, I took my CLEAN bottles, then filled each with a one step solution and took a bottle brush to them, dumped it out, soaked again, then put straight into the dishwasher and ran it without soap. Didn't have a problem at all. Be sure to do the heated dry and then let them cool before thinking about putting anything in the bottles.

actually it would be better to fill while bottles are still warm. won't hurt the yeast and keeps any nasties from reinfection. make sure to rinse bottles after capping.:rockin:

eriktlupus said:
actually it would be better to fill while bottles are still warm. won't hurt the yeast and keeps any nasties from reinfection. make sure to rinse bottles after capping.:rockin:

It won't work out too well if you're filling with carbonated beer though. The co2 will come out of suspension at temperature change and foam up uncontrollably.

Some dishwashers include sanitation as part of the wash cycle; some even have a sanitation only cycle. Check your dishwasher manual If included than all you need to do is load the bottles and run the appropriate cycle.

It is convenient because you can set the bottling bucket on the counter over the dishwasher and fill the bottles on the opened dishwasher door. Any spillage ends up in the dishwasher.

Latest posts

Back