Counterflow question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjason6

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to make a Counterflow chiller in the near future. Since we have well water and a limited supply, I'm looking to kind of make it a closed system with a cooler and a pump. What I'm wondering is what would be a good flow rate to pump the water through the chiller would be. Any suggestions on a pump to use would be great too. Thanks!

My water is about 50 psi. I think you need to know temp of water and how fast you are going to flow the wort, but I would think any cheap submersible pump from Harbor Freight or HD/Lowes should work. I used to pump ice water through my IC and it worked fine.

Yes, you pump the wort & water at a rate that chills the wort to your desired temp. Sometimes you can flow both full speed and other times you might have to throttle everything down. Depends on system, water temp, wort temp, etc.

Latest posts

Back