Anybody want a carboy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
The kicker is that you have to find a way to get the dead, rotten mouse out of it ! A friend of mine gave me an unused carboy of his when he got out of winemaking last autumn and I put it in my small shed outside (only to forget it since I don't use carboys, ever). I went to the shed to get my snow tires and I found it. Poor creature. Probably fell into the hole after sniffing something inside of it (what I don't know, it was stored clean...).

No pics, it's too disgusting really.

ok, I will tackle this one. Fill with water and let the little guy soften up and just drain him to the ground. Then a good carboy scrubbing. Not worth throwing out a good carboy :)

Dean

The kicker is that you have to find a way to get the dead, rotten mouse out of it ! A friend of mine gave me an unused carboy of his when he got out of winemaking last autumn and I put it in my small shed outside (only to forget it since I don't use carboys, ever). I went to the shed to get my snow tires and I found it. Poor creature. Probably fell into the hole after sniffing something inside of it (what I don't know, it was stored clean...).

No pics, it's too disgusting really.

How big is the carboy, and will you ship? (I'm not sure what postals rules are for shipping dead mice)

I don't know if I could brew a beer in that after seeing the dead mouse, plus, I don't use carboys. My fermenting room is in the basement and I have to naviguate a narrow and turny staircase. I did use a carboy a few times when I started out but that staircase is way, way too dangerous for glass. And I can't see me selling it to some poor schmuck without telling him of the rodent situation...

I won't ship as the "do you want it" part was in jest. If somebody is really in the Quebec area and he wants it, he is more than welcome to it though, but he'll have to drive to my place for pick up.

I just noticed your in Canada, if postal didn't have a problem with a dead, rotting mouse going through the mail customs might. Also the international shipping price may not be worth the trouble.

Hopefully someone in Canada won't be grossed out, and will help you out.

Someone else on the board used lye to dissolve a mouse in a carboy, there is a long thread about it.

The glass carboy, it seems, is the pitcher plant of the rodent world.

Put it on craigslist

Free Dead Mouse (Quebec)

Date: 2011-11-11, 10:50 PST
Reply to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dead Mouse

Safely contained in 5 gallon glass carboy. Perfect for brewing your next batch of homebrew. Please remove mouse and sanitize before fermenting your next beer.

Anyone searching for brewing stuff will find it, and the title will get rid of the squeemish.

Put it on craigslist

Free Dead Mouse (Quebec)

Date: 2011-11-11, 10:50 PST
Reply to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dead Mouse

Safely contained in 5 gallon glass carboy. Perfect for brewing your next batch of homebrew. Please remove mouse and sanitize before fermenting your next beer.

Anyone searching for brewing stuff will find it, and the title will get rid of the squeemish.

*Reads title of Craigslist ad

"What? Is he in Jail? I thought he was in Toronto!!"
http://www.deadmau5.com/

I'd fill it with hot water and oxyclean and let the fizziness work all the mouse guts and crap out of it. Then pour it out, and clean and sanitize the heck out of it.

Someone else on the board used lye to dissolve a mouse in a carboy, there is a long thread about it.

i was just about to suggest that when i read the OP. probably the easiest way to do it. oxiclean works wonders on many things, but dissolving flesh and bone is not one of them.

1lb of sodium hydroxide is like $5 on ebay. probably 2-4x the amount you would need to dissolve a mouse.

I'd fill it with hot water and oxyclean and let the fizziness work all the mouse guts and crap out of it. Then pour it out, and clean and sanitize the heck out of it.

Oddly enough, oxyclean fizz and mouse leavins' were the two primary ingredients in Sam Adams 1997 Triple Bock.

Oddly enough, oxyclean fizz and mouse leavins' were the two primary ingredients in Sam Adams 1997 Triple Bock.

Lol.

I guess that's worse than the one I had a few years ago which the two main ingredients were chocolate and soy sauce.

Back