Recipe Conversion - Snake Dog IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChef17

Reaction score
Ok so I have decided that I want to brew a Snake Dog IPA Clone (Flying Dog's description)sometime in the near future and want to make sure I am converting the recipe correctly. The original recipe I am using can be found here and calls for:

OG = 1.061
FG= 1.015
efficiency 70%

14.25# American 2-row pale
0.5# American Crystal 120L

boil 60 mins 1.25 Warrior leaf 15.0
boil 30 mins 0.75 Columbus leaf 15.4
boil 30 mins 0.75 Warrior leaf 15.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Columbus leaf 15.4
dry hop 4 days 2.0 Columbus leaf 15.4

Boil size 3gal, batch size 6 gal

Firstly for my DME I figure I will need 7# Light DME (since 61*5=305ppg , 305ppg/44ppg = 6.93#DME). Then I would keep the 120L at 0.5# and steep @155F for 30m.

However the hop schedule is where I become confused. I will also be doing a 3gal boil but my final batch size is 5gal instead of 6gal. Do I simply need to use a factor of 5/6 ? Or is there a different formula available to include boil size and batch size?

ok reading some more stuff I believe I found the answer to my own question...in the IBU equation I use my AAU x U(using gravity of boil-not predicted OG) x 75 / Vrecipe (5gal)

Since my extract recipe shares the same boil size and ppg as the original recipe the first half of the IBU calculation will remain constant. Therefore (assuming my hops have the same AA%) I can just use a factor or 5/6

Or did I miss something?

Back