1st batch. 1st starter. 1st problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddpac87

Reaction score
Ok, so I just finished making my starter for my first batch, which I planned on brewing this weekend. Everything was going fine until I went to add the yeast to my flask. Cracked the top and got a nice unexpected yeast explosion!! I got MAYBE half (being optimistic) of the original contents of the vial into my flask. Any chance that will be enough to make a usable starter?

FYI - Not sure if it matters or not, but the beer I was going to brew is Midwest's Hop Head Double IPA. SG of 1.070 - 1.074.

How big a starter did you make? You may need to step it up to get enough yeast to pitch to a low 70's gravity brew.

You should be fine... I would monitor the starter and repeat the same process again if time permits.

As I side note I had a WTF moment when I decided to rupture the inner pouch of a Wyeast smack pack on the corner of my counter top and half the yeast flowed onto the ground. I pitched the rest into a starter and all was fine!

purpose of a starter is to grow your yeast family.. so I'd expect you're fine as long as some made it.. it might just take longer to get the population you desire.

Back