Brewing w/lots of OLD grain and hop= Hop Disaster!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
Due to an insane work/life schedule, I haven't been able to brew for well over a year. My plan to get back into brewing, is to build a wort cooler (check!) and use up the rest of my old grains and hops in one giant, terrible batch! This batch will be called Hop Disaster. It will consist of 20lbs of 3year old marris otter, which I can't even tell is old on the taste test, so I think it will be fine. I have some new 2row that I might throw in for some fun. And I'm going to use an insane amount of hops! Pretty much anything that has been opened is going to be fair game, and that might be 2+ lbs! The hops have still all lived in ziplock bags inside another bag in the freezer for the last year so I'm hoping they will be alright. I have the starter of Safale 05 going right now. :mug:

Just my two cents, but I'd make something you're going to want to drink. The grain will be fine. No need to over hop. I'd smell the hops first too to make sure they're not 'cheesy' so you make something that you can enjoy for awhile. Of course, if you're just doing for it 'science' and don't care if it's drinkable then brew on!

Back