Specialty IPA: Black IPA None More Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, gonna make this one next. Prolly this weekend...

Going to use the recipe just as it is on the first page, only to substitute whatever hops are available. I'll reply back with my results...

This is the first recipe on this forum I've tried to replicate. I had a disaster of a brew day. Stuck CFC and I was sucking on tubes between cursing my arse off. Ended up calling in sick to work and sticking the wort in the tub.

Despite that, thing is it turned out really pretty good due to an excellent grain bill. Smooth as all hell. I threw the dry hops in with the yeast because I just wanted to forget about the disaster in the carboy, and I regret it. Absolutely no aroma, but I think the Serachi (first time using) goes well with the dark malts. I wish I had waited for the yeast to settle to dry hop this because with some aroma i'm sure this would be an absolutely incredible brew. Thanks for posting it.

Here's my take using a very attenuable 2112 Steam Beer yeast:

Raven Vapor IPA
Type
All Grain
Efficiency
70.0%
Batch size
5.25 gal
Boil time
60 min

Fermentables

Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt 11.0 lb 78 %
Munich Malt I 1.0 lb 7 %
2-Row Caramel Malt 80L 1.0 lb 7 %
CARAFA® SPECIAL III (Dehusked Barley) 0.5 lb 3 %
2-Row Carapils® Malt 0.5 lb 3 %

Hops

Warrior 0.75 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 13.7%
Amarillo 0.5 oz 30 min Boil Pellet 8.5%
Apollo 0.25 oz 30 min Boil Pellet 18.6%
Amarillo 0.5 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 8.5%
Apollo 0.25 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 18.6%
Apollo 0.25 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 18.6%
Amarillo 0.5 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 8.5%
Amarillo 1.0 oz keg Dry Hop Pellet 8.5%

Yeasts
California Lager 2112 Wyeast 88.0%

Measured Stats

1.064 OG
1.008 FG
74 IBU
7.3% ABV
28 SRM

Brewed up 11 gallons of this yesterday. I was playing with beersmith making adjustments and didn't revert back to original when I weighed things out. Ended up with 2.5 oz magnum and over 115 IBU..shortened the boil to 50 minutes trying to compensate as much as I could. After all was said and done, I was at about 100. Hoping it won't be too bitter, so I am expecting to dry hop with a bunch more hops hoping to even out bitterness and aroma.

After 2 weeks, I tried a sample. Very bitter, but also a nice roasty smooth taste. Can't wait to dry hop this and get it carbed. I think I am going to dry hop with double the amount to get a huge aroma up front to balance the strong bitterness of my mistake when brewing.

How do you think this would be with some pepper in it? I've been tossing around the idea of a Chipotle pepper IPA, and I think a black IPA would be better for that. I'm thinking about brewing it as is, and splitting it after the primary fermentation with half peppers, half not. Ideas?

I didn't see this post before, but I have added habanero's to my version of this beer and it came out great. I wish I would have added more though. I racked one gallon into a small jug and dropped 2 cut up habs into it. The habs were really not that hot so the heat was very subdued. I do plan to do it again at some point and up the heat. In my opinion the strong hop bitterness pairs very well with the peppers. Try Habanero Sculpin if you get a chance. Just my $0.02.

modernlifeisANDY said:
YOU GUYS ARE NUTS. I love that people have taken this recipe and run with it.
hey, pepper beer is great! Maybe if i make it again, i'll send some your way. Afterall, you were the inspiration for my version!

Kept base grains and warrior and swapped to cascade and citra for additions. Brewed last week and first sample hit 1.060 and tastes phenomenal. Cascade to DH soon. Thanks for the groundwork!

holy crap man that sorachi has a really unique taste to it! been two weeks since i've bottled it and it just keeps getting better, would probably tone down the roasted malts a bit next time cause mine tastes a bit more like a hoppy porter than a traditional CDA might. I think thats probably b/c i used a bit more munich and carafa than was called for after scaling the recipe down.
:cross:

I love CDA's and happen to have all the hops on hand, so Ill be brewing this soon.

@wildginger: what tweaks did you make and what were the results? I intend to brew the original recipe but I'd I can't get all those grains it would be good to know what else might work.

I had a nearly flawless experience brewing up the original recipe of this, yesterday. It, too, was my first time with Sorachi. Very intriguing smell right out of the bag. :)

After reading the entire thread, I notice a small theme of overly roasty flavor. I think I may be able to shed some light on one potential cause.

The specialty malt Carafa Special III can be purchased in two fashions, with its husks or dehusked. The husks, among other flavor changers, offers an incredible amount of roast flavor. For this particular style of beer with its bitterness and hoppy yumminess, I suggest using Carafa Special III (DEHUSKED).

Just my 2cents. Cheers!!

I love CDA's and happen to have all the hops on hand, so Ill be brewing this soon.

@wildginger: what tweaks did you make and what were the results? I intend to brew the original recipe but I'd I can't get all those grains it would be good to know what else might work.
I just saw this, so sorry for the late response. My take on this beer is:
10 lbs 2-row
.75 lbs dark munich malt
.5 lbs cara-pils
.5 lbs carafa II
.5 lbs c-120

1 oz warrior @ 60 min
.5 oz centennial @ 60 min
.5 oz chinook @ 30 min
.5 oz centennial @ 15 min
.5 oz chinook @ 15 min
.5 oz chinook @ 5 min
2.5 oz chinook dry hop

When I first started brewing this beer, Sorachi Ace was not available at my lhbs. It is now and I have used it once in a different IPA. I may try brewing this one again and use the SA in lieu of the Centennial.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. I won't be brewing this for a bit yet so no worries on the wait!

Finally got around to brewing this yesterday - I had to make some sub's but for the most part it's pretty close.

Hit my target temp on the nose but my efficiency was way higher than normal (did a mash out and mini sparge) - got 85%! So it's going to be a strong one!

9lbs 2 Row
1 Munich
.5 cara pils
.75 Carafa 2 (as opposed to .5 of carafa 3)
.5 C-60 (as opposed to c-80)

hop schedule was very close as well

.75oz Warrior FWH (as opposed to 1oz at 60)
0.5 oz. Sorachi (10.9% AA) 30 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo Gold (7.2% AA) 30 min.
0.5 oz. Sorachi (10.9% AA) 15 min.
0.5 oz. Amarillo Gold (7.2% AA) 15 min.
1 oz. Amarillo Gold 5 min. (upped from .5)
1 oz. Sorachi (10.9% AA) Hopstand

Should be about 7% and 90IBU

Since it's dark and feature Sorachi Ace I've named it Ace of Spades!

AceofSpades.jpg

Hydro sample is deeee-licious!

Updated - July 22 - bottled this today. So goddamn good even before carbing/chilling.

IMG_0419.jpg

Ok, been 6 days in the bottle and just about finished my first one. Good stuff. Ready just in time for the holiday weekend. :D First time using sorachi hops and I'm liking them. This is one of my favorite styles of beer, so I'll probably keep this is the regular rotation and try to always have some on hand. Glad I put two in the fridge, time for another.

I had a nearly flawless experience brewing up the original recipe of this, yesterday. It, too, was my first time with Sorachi. Very intriguing smell right out of the bag. :)

After reading the entire thread, I notice a small theme of overly roasty flavor. I think I may be able to shed some light on one potential cause.

The specialty malt Carafa Special III can be purchased in two fashions, with its husks or dehusked. The husks, among other flavor changers, offers an incredible amount of roast flavor. For this particular style of beer with its bitterness and hoppy yumminess, I suggest using Carafa Special III (DEHUSKED).

Just my 2cents. Cheers!!

Good point, there always seems to be some confusion which type to use if it's not specifically stated in the recipe.

Which type are people generally using for this?
The husked or the de-husked; I guess the latter?

I have both here but only as Carafa II.
Hopefully the difference wont be too big if I use that.
Maybe I will just add an extra 2 or 3oz to keep the color closer to the original.

I also cant wait to use Soarchi Ace for the first time :)

I don't have any Warrior so I'll probably use Nugget or Columbus.
I do have a choice of Summit, Magnum and Taurus too but maybe they would be too smooth?

When I decide on the final recipe and get a chance to brew it I will post the results. Might take a while though.

:mug:

I just saw this, so sorry for the late response. My take on this beer is:
10 lbs 2-row
.75 lbs dark munich malt
.5 lbs cara-pils
.5 lbs carafa II
.5 lbs c-120

1 oz warrior @ 60 min
.5 oz centennial @ 60 min
.5 oz chinook @ 30 min
.5 oz centennial @ 15 min
.5 oz chinook @ 15 min
.5 oz chinook @ 5 min
2.5 oz chinook dry hop

When I first started brewing this beer, Sorachi Ace was not available at my lhbs. It is now and I have used it once in a different IPA. I may try brewing this one again and use the SA in lieu of the Centennial.

Hope this helps.
Is there anything I can sub for cara2? my lhbs is out. also how do you think azacca would be in this? Have about 4oz and nothing to use it in.

Back