Yeast Starter too active - seeking advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have apparently made a successful harvest of Pacman from two bombers of Shakespeare Stout. So successful, in fact, that only at 800 ml I am already foaming out of a 2000 ml flask.

This fact combined with the fact that I am supposed to make a 1600 ml starter for a particular brew concerns me. Obviously, once I step this up again, I'm going to have quite a problem.

So what do others do? Use a blowoff tube? Then you don't get oxygen to your starter. I tried searching this, but with mixed results. Is defoamer the only solution here? I'm not sure my LHBS carries any and it would be a very inconvenient trip if they did. Is it possible that my yeast is strong enough to pitch at a lower starter volume if it's that active and healthy? I doubt that.

Are you using a stirplate? I found that it helped keep the bubbles down and no krausen forms. Or maybe add fermcap.

I thought of just using a carboy but I like to cold crash it and decant the starter beer. I guess I'll have to concede something if I don't want gunk all over my kitchen.

I suppose I'll look around at the grocery store for a larger glass container - something I can still fit in the fridge.

I'm having the same issue, I can't even turn my stirplate on for over 10 seconds at lowest speed or I have a volcano :confused:

I finally got a 5000ml flask and usually do 3500ml starters and have had good success. I too, like to crash cool and decant that starter beer off.

Eastside

Why not use an anti foam of some sort? I have been using some in my starters and I have not seen any ill effects.

Back