Midwest Hop Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goocher

Reaction score
Just left Midwest Supply (only 20min away) and picked up some 1/2 pound bags of hops because of their 3rd Annual Hop Sale.

I picked up 8oz Warrior ($11.95) and 8oz Yakima Magnum ($9.95). :rockin:

Now, to make a long story short I ended up with a bag of grains pre-mixed (out of the Midwest Hop-Head AG kit). It includes:

#14 2 Row (Domestic)
#3/4 Caramel 60L
#1/2 Victory
#1/4 Aromatic

I LOVE hops, correction I LIVE for hops. These Warriors and Yakima Magnums have some wicked high alpha acid, but I bought them on a whim. What would be a good way to do hop additions with a 90min boil?

Midwest's sale prices don't touch hopsdirect.com

A high AA example: Columbus
Hopsdirect - $7.75/lb
Midwest - $24/lb

Yeah, but Midwest is a homebrew shop, Hopsdirect is selling at wholesale prices as far as I can tell. So Midwest incurs shipping charges and they probably want to make a profit as well, hence the higher prices. I love hopsdirect, but if we were all to cut out the middleman all the time, we'd soon be stuck with supply monopolies who could do to the prices whatever they please.

That said, most of the major homebrew stores usually have a healthy profit margin on hops, even at "sale" prices. For a closeout sale, they should probably drop the prices well down to the sub $1-range per oz for all but the most popular varieties (your Simcoes and such).

Thanks for the replies and yes, I've seen hopsdirect pricing. I live 20 min from Midwest so it's a natural choice and I prefer to shop locally whenever possible.

But the question remains....

How should I use them with the ingredients I have?

You can use either one for your bittering addition. I personally would not use them for the later additions, but I know that Mikkeller did a Warrior-only IPA that got fairly good reviews, but people commented on the fairly mild taste.

Given the strong AA and apparently mild flavor, I suggest hopbursting the beer with all late additions starting at 20 minutes and going through the whirlpool to get you up to however many IBUs you want.

Yeah, but Midwest is a homebrew shop, Hopsdirect is selling at wholesale prices as far as I can tell. So Midwest incurs shipping charges and they probably want to make a profit as well, hence the higher prices. I love hopsdirect, but if we were all to cut out the middleman all the time, we'd soon be stuck with supply monopolies who could do to the prices whatever they please.

That said, most of the major homebrew stores usually have a healthy profit margin on hops, even at "sale" prices. For a closeout sale, they should probably drop the prices well down to the sub $1-range per oz for all but the most popular varieties (your Simcoes and such).

So long as you subsidize my brewing you can spend more if it makes you feel better. :p

Back