Is there a difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Is there a difference between Hallertau and Hallertauer? Ive seen both on some lists of hop description and them some lists that have just either or.

Hi Timmy - don't have the answer to your specific question, but there are a number of hop variaties with names that are related but changed, based on region. Spalt and spalter, etc. So often its the same family, closely related, but regional differences.

Hallertau is a region in Germany. Hallertauer means "from Hallertau".

The original hop grown is Hallertau is also known as Hallertau, this same hop if grown in other regions (eg the US or New Zealand) will sometimes be called Hallertau as well.

So Hallertauer Hallertau, which you will see sometimes, means Hallertau hops from Hallertau.

Other hops are now grown in Hallertau because they have good (eg disease resistant) properties. So Hallertauer Hersbrucker is the Hersbrucker hop grown in Hallertau.

So the short answer is that Hallertau and Hallertauer are generally used interchangeably in the US to describe either the Hallertau hop or another hop (eg Hersbrucker) grown in Hallertau.

If Hersbrucker or some other word is not used, I think it is safe to assume the hop is of the Hallertau type. If you further confirm that it was grown in Hallertau you will know that you have the real deal.

Thanks, I got them from freshops and I believe they were listed as Gr Hallertau.

Back