Getting 15-gal kegs into chest freezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scopey

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the best way to lift heavy kegs (~160 lbs.) into a chest freezer style keezer? Or horror stories? I'm stressing about it and I haven't even put a collar on it yet--and am thinking about either 6" or 8". Yikes!

I've seen people do it, but I have no idea how.

I'm guessing the only really safe way would be with some type of pulley system.

If you have an unfinished garage then there are cheap hoist just like the ones shown at harbor freight in the post before me. If you put your chest freezer on wheels or on plywood with wheels you can make your self a ramp that will allow you to put the keg in by yourself by sliding it into place right out of your car -one end rests on your collar the other at the bottom of your freezer. You will probably want to pad the ends so that neither your collar or your freezer are damaged - a well mounted, sturdy collar is a must too. An alternative to this is pipe bent in the shape of an upside down "U" (with padded ends on the freezer side) that you roll the keg up and then down into the freezer - also do yourself a favor and have a solid way of keeping the lid propped up, turn off your gas, secure your faucets - so that you don't have other issues to mess (remember you will be alone) with while wrestling a 155 lb keg.

also do yourself a favor and have a solid way of keeping the lid propped up, turn off your gas, secure your faucets - so that you don't have other issues to mess (remember you will be alone) with while wrestling a 155 lb keg.

You mean like wearing my LifeAlert necklace:

"Help, I've been hit by a big can of beer and I can't get up!" (how many times I've said that...)

You might even consider layering some CDX plywood, or some other moisture friendly wood, over the bottom of the freezer to help distribute the weight more evenly.

I imagine the bottoms of those freezers weren't designed for a point load support of 160 pounds across a 19 inch circle. I could be wrong.

Another thing I should have mentioned: the solution shouldn't involve rolling the keg, as want to minimize any sediment disturbance.

Next on the wishlist would be a solution that could also lift 6-1/2 gallon glass carboys. Perhaps a little tricky to attach to a hoist, without some kind of carboy harness:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/6_1_2_GALLON_CARBOY_PARKA_P181.cfm

Also if you haven't bought your (faucets, hoses, regulator tank etc) yet - I recently bought a complete chest freezer coversion kit from KegCowboy.Com for a lot less than I could get the parts or kit anywhere else and noticed that there is an option for sanke kegs too. Here is the kit I got but I added 4 pepsi kegs for $90. You would of course choose Sanke. http://www.kegcowboy.com/digiSHOP/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=22

That is a good point about rolling but I usually have to let kegs sit over night to lessen the foam caused by the car ride (usually the guys loading it have sloshed it around so much that it doesn't really matter if I drive like I am in the General Lee on the way home) and it seems that this is adequate quiet time for the sediment to also settle down.

how about putting them in the freezer empty and filling them in the freezer? i assume you're using these kegs for secondary, or are you buying full kegs from somewhere?

I used to do some exercises with full kegs to show off to my friends. But thinking now I do have an engine hoist in my garage I could use. But whats the fun in that?

I second Harbor freight. I got my engine hoist from them and it's worked flawlessly for 2+ years, although only on engines... not kegs.

the garage attached to my house is fully sheetrocked, so with much help i managed to get an 8' former railroad tie up into the attic, which spans 5 ceiling joists. a 2' long, 5/8" threaded eye bolt goes up through the garage ceiling and all the way through the railroad tie, so it's pretty damn strong... i've lifted complete engine/transmission units with it with no problems at all :)

it also works really well for getting kegs out of my truck and into my keezer. the railroad tie was free, the bolt was $15 with washers and nuts and i already had the hoist

This hoisting I'm hoping to accomplish without blowing out a spinal gasket is of a commercial 15-gal keg, already filled. So filling in place isn't really an option.

From all the feedback, I surmise there really isn't a cheap (~$20) way to do this: I need a hoist, manual or electric. Even for a bit over $100, the electric hoist solution is cheap compared to the cost of a mishap or lifelong injury to myself. Plus, what a blast to watch a 1/2 barrel float up into the air, magitronically...

i would avoid those first two. i considered the same thing you're thinking of. the problem with those two is that theres no secure way to suspend it while you're moving a. it, or b. the freezer. you could just wrap the line on a cleat, but still, what if it falls. the come along (option #2) would allow you to raise it, but bringing it down safely would be an issue. i believe those things just unlatch to release tension, basically dropping the keg. manual chain hoists seem to be the cheapest and safest option.

i would avoid those first two. i considered the same thing you're thinking of. the problem with those two is that theres no secure way to suspend it while you're moving a. it, or b. the freezer. you could just wrap the line on a cleat, but still, what if it falls. the come along (option #2) would allow you to raise it, but bringing it down safely would be an issue. i believe those things just unlatch to release tension, basically dropping the keg. manual chain hoists seem to be the cheapest and safest option.

Agreed.

I've been examining wilserbrewer's picks and reading about how hoists work (Google: how does a hoist work?). I understand the planetary gear ratio and how that converts cranking energy into more force (I'm thinking about bicycle sprockets & their gear ratios). The thing I don't fully understand is the ratcheting mechanisms or braking systems, or lack thereof, of different devices, e.g. winches, 'come alongs', and hoists. I would think that if something is called a "hoist", then it's safe for lifting--but now I think it's all about ratcheting/braking. Sooo, I agree with you nbspindel, the first two devices lack a suitable ratchet mechanism, and that the third device seems more suitable because it has a "Automatic load-holding brake". I think now I'm going to start looking around for "manual chain hoist".

. I think now I'm going to start looking around for "manual chain hoist".
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=996

Mutually agreed, the 7 dollar rope hoist is not very luxurious...but they work great!
Lest we forget the sub 20 dollar restriction...I believe while not the best option...The cable hoist or "come along" will power down...I think you manually release and lever down...repeat.
I wish this job paid....:mug:

Ok...option C...get about 15 feet of beer line and an empty 1/2 keg...push the beer w/ CO2 from the full keg in the truck to the empty keg in the keezer.

No way built in to hold the load, but simply install a cleat (like from a sailboat) nearby to quickly tie off the rope to and you'd have it secured.

I'm picturing me pulling on that rope of the $6.99 general purpose hoist, gloves on of course, and thinking "for the love of god, don't let go, don't let go! And don't slip either!!" And then when I get it up high enough, "don't slip while I attempt to tie off to the cleat". Scary!

I'm cheap, but about a high stakes thing like hoisting something valuable (think: 6.5-gal glass carboy full of wort that you've just worked 5 hours to produce)...I want to over-engineer.

Scopey,

Have no fear...if there is a hundred pounds on that cheap little rope hoist...there is only about 12 pounds on the "business" end of the rope...gloves not required...holding the end of the rope is akin to holding a twelve pack of bottles....really not difficult...just don't let go...hah.:mug:

Any thoughts on the best way to lift heavy kegs (~160 lbs.) into a chest freezer style keezer? Or horror stories? I'm stressing about it and I haven't even put a collar on it yet--and am thinking about either 6" or 8". Yikes!

This is what I use. I've got it attached to the floor joists in my basement (I spread the load accross 6 joists). Best of all it's $10 + shipping. I've been using this for 5+ years and is still like new.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_11839_11839

They also make a great 16 inch dolly; perfect for wheeiling around full size kegs.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200318267_200318267

Well you only live once, and as an American I did my part to stimulate the economy....finally decided on the 1100 lb. electric hoist, which seems to be "on sale" for $99.99 at the moment:
http://tinyurl.com/y88z4cy

Further justification for the purchase includes:
1) some rather unfavorable reviews of previously mentioned manual hoists
2) being able to easily lift things up into the garage storage space
3) being able to lift stuff just for fun.

As though I need yet another project, mounting the hoist should be real fun, I mean a PITA.

Thanks everyone for the input! I'll try to post some pics when done.

*Update*:
Looks like Harbor Freight's prices fluctuate frequently, much as Amazon does. The $99 hoist I bought is back to $139. So if you want to save a few bucks, exercise patience...

Back