Kegerator I built (freezer conversion)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat6105

Reaction score
I bought a beat up freezer off of ebay for $20 to convert into a kegerator. Not wanting to spend a lot of money, i had some extra lumber at the house and started framing it up.

I had it framed and painted within two days.

Another couple of days to apply the two coats of epoxy (bar top) and a day later I installed an old tower that I had laying around.

Ordered a regulator and some tubing and I'll be in business this weekend.....

Geaux Tigers!
IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Nice work on the epoxy. I'm looking at something similar for my bar top.

Is that a 1/2bbl or 1/4bbl? I struggled to get a 1/2bbl into my bar and I only have a 10" lift to get it in the door. Hoisting a 1/2bbl up into a keezer would have put me out for good!

:eek:

Nice work on the epoxy. I'm looking at something similar for my bar top.

Is that a 1/2bbl or 1/4bbl? I struggled to get a 1/2bbl into my bar and I only have a 10" lift to get it in the door. Hoisting a 1/2bbl up into a keezer would have put me out for good!

:eek:

It's a 1/2bbl....but an empty one :-(

I only put it int here because after all the work I did on the bar, i got a little nervous Saturday night - I forgot to put a barrel in there to see if it would even fit (the freezer is not that deep at all). Lucky for me, it barely fits.

It's a 1/2bbl....but an empty one :-(

I only put it int here because after all the work I did on the bar, i got a little nervous Saturday night - I forgot to put a barrel in there to see if it would even fit (the freezer is not that deep at all). Lucky for me, it barely fits.

Remember, that with a standard sanke tap with the beer line coming off the top you need another 5 - 6 inches above the skirt of the keg. You don't want to kink the beer line as that would cause foaming.

SpaceP1010001.jpg
SpaceP1010006.jpg
SpaceP1010010.jpg

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/sizes-keg-draft-beer-available-aid-11.html

Probably a dumb question, but where did you get that epoxy top. Im looking in to building something similar and Id love to have a UW Badger top. Thanks in advance.

By the way, your keezer looks very good.

What I should have asked, is what did you use (the LSU sign) under the epoxy that turned out so well. Is that a poster, etc?

Probably a dumb question, but where did you get that epoxy top. Im looking in to building something similar and Id love to have a UW Badger top. Thanks in advance.

By the way, your keezer looks very good.

Thank you sir....

It was a two part epoxy that you can buy @ Home Depot....you can find it where they sell wood stains (comes in a cardboard box).

Real easy to use....mix it togeter, pour it on the top, spread it around with squeegge and then you're good to go. Bubbles may appear after speading it around, but you can use a hair dryer to blow them out.

What I should have asked, is what did you use (the LSU sign) under the epoxy that turned out so well. Is that a poster, etc?

Sticker that i purchased at a local retailer.

With the epoxy, you can put anything you want under it...pictures, beer labels, coasters, etc.....

Oddly enough, I got the idea from an episode of MTV's "Pimp My Ride." They fabricated a floor in a van with this stuff and under the epoxy they placed a bunch of records...looked pretty cool.

Sticker that i purchased at a local retailer.

With the epoxy, you can put anything you want under it...pictures, beer labels, coasters, etc.....

Oddly enough, I got the idea from an episode of MTV's "Pimp My Ride." They fabricated a floor in a van with this stuff and under the epoxy they placed a bunch of records...looked pretty cool.

Maybe a stupid question, but could you do something like this on the side of the freezer as well?

Maybe a stupid question, but could you do something like this on the side of the freezer as well?

I assume you're talking about the epoxy?

I don't see why not...if you wanted to do it on the side of the freezer, you would probably want to flip it over so the side you want to epoxy is pointing towards the ceiling...this way the epoxy will not run down the side before it dires.

I assume you're talking about the epoxy?

I don't see why not...if you wanted to do it on the side of the freezer, you would probably want to flip it over so the side you want to epoxy is pointing towards the ceiling...this way the epoxy will not run down the side before it dires.

Yeah, I just like that clear sheen you are getting off of your bar top.

Then the epoxy is the route you want to take. You could use a polyurethane, but it would take about 50 or 60 coats to make it look like epoxy.

The stuff is very easy to use...mix, pour and let dry.

After it dries, it's extremly hard and like plexiglass

Back