Best ingredient supplier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I'd like to poll the members who have a strong opinion as to who is the best ingredient supplier in relation to product reliability, service, and price.

Thanks

I have used Midwest Brewing Supplies ever since I started brewing 4 years ago. Their pricing is much better than my Local HB supply store even after shipping. They have a wide selection of products and I have never had a problem with them. They have great customer service too.
A lot of people here swear by Austin Homebrew Supply, but I've never done business with them myself so I'll let others vouch for them.

Lots of good threads on this question. I think all list
AHS (Austin Homebrew supply)
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies
More Beer

I often order from The Grape and Granary and have had excellent service, good prices and selection. If I am ordering much I will usually price the orders on several sites including shipping and see who comes in best. There are some things that not all sites have which will sway an order 1 direction or another.

In general if I am ordering much grain then the 5# and 10# bags from The Grape and Granary is usually the cheapest. For honey or wine kits it appears that Northern Brewer comes out ahead with the cheap shipping. For most other orders Midwest has done well.

If you order kits then AHS probably has the best selection.

All of the above have a good selection and prices over all are similar, however at times some sites will have significantly better prices on some items than others. Often it may be due to slight differences in supplier or brand.

Craig

Lots of good threads on this question. I think all list
AHS (Austin Homebrew supply)
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies
More Beer

I often order from The Grape and Granary and have had excellent service, good prices and selection. If I am ordering much I will usually price the orders on several sites including shipping and see who comes in best. There are some things that not all sites have which will sway an order 1 direction or another.

In general if I am ordering much grain then the 5# and 10# bags from The Grape and Granary is usually the cheapest. For honey or wine kits it appears that Northern Brewer comes out ahead with the cheap shipping. For most other orders Midwest has done well.

If you order kits then AHS probably has the best selection.

All of the above have a good selection and prices over all are similar, however at times some sites will have significantly better prices on some items than others. Often it may be due to slight differences in supplier or brand.

Craig

+1 to this, but also try Brewmasters Warehouse.

I know that at least Austin Homebrew and Brewmaster's Warehouse are HBTers and both respond quickly to questions about their wares on the forums. I've also seen them both go to great lengts to make a customer happy.

I put in a vote for Brewmasters Warehouse. Of course I own the store so I am partial. We do have good prices, we ship very fast, and because you are in Florida it should get to you very quick. I am located in Georgia. I am very passionate about customer service, so we will take very good care of you. </end shameless plug>

MoreBeer has free shipping but it's really slow. freshops.com has a nice selection of whole hops. nikobrew.com sells hops in large quantities, but most of them are pellet.

I hear midwest for price and AHB for service (and presence here on the board).

I have probably made more orders from NB than from anywhere else. Perhaps because they supported the JZ podcast, which I found invaluable.

I use Midwest becasue they have the cheapest prices that I can find. Cheaper than buying local. I question their grains crush sometimes though....

I've used Brewmasters warehouse with much success since its opening. Never had an issue, and Ed is always responsive to any question that I throw his way.
From a logistics standpoint, even if your order was shipped the same day from AHS and Brewmasters, Brewmasters shipment would arrive 2 days earlier.

I have ordered one batch of ingredients from High Gravity [www.highgravitybrew.com]. Even with standard shipping, it was shipped out within hours. They were recommended to me on another forum. As I am in TN, it got to me very quickly. Think I put in the order at about 3 pm on a Tuesday, and got the stuff on Thursday :)

I have also ordered from Williams Brewing [www.williamsbrewing.com] (as they had Maris Otter extract), and it also shipped in hours (again, just standard shipping), although took a bit longer to reach me as it was coming from CA.

I'd use either again!

I've had good dealings with Austin Homebrew and +1 on their service. Kits and ingredients I've gotten from them have turned out well despite my Noobie handling.

The "rankings" section on their website looks to be totally up front. Most of the comments on their kits are positive. But they apparently post them unedited.

I like Brewmasters Warehouse for the uber personal service. A damn nice guy owns the place too. I've ordered from midwest, B3, Austin, NB, ebrew, etc etc.

I don't mind paying a premium for personal service, but at BMW, you get the personal service without the premium. His brewbulider is pretty cool too. Try finding that anywhere else.

I ordered my kit from B3, and bought Austin kits exclusively for a while, but I have a new supplier now. I'd be ordering more, but I just came home to 400 lbs of grain, and 9 lbs of hops last week.....

+1 for Brewmasters Warehouse. He shipped my order next day, unlike MoreBeer who took 2 weeks to ship. Also, NorthernBrewer is fast about their shipping.

Midwest Supplies
The Home Brewery
Williams Brewing
these are my favorites, along with the ol' LHBS.

I've had excellent results from Austin. I've got a catalog for Midwest and the price of some of their kits is qute nice, though I've never ordered from there. I may just have to check out Brewmasters or Midwest next time I place a mail order.

Personally, I like to support my lhbs as much as possible. Unfortunately, that isn't as often as I'd like due to their distance from my house and my broke self. :(

Back