Should I rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacgee

Reaction score
Brewed a week from this past thursday night (OG 1.080) and let it ferment for 40 hours (gravity - 1.050)and then added 4 lbs honey (gravity up to 1.060). It has been fermenting steadily for the week since I added the honey. Has been bubbling once every 13-14 seconds for the past 3-4 days and the gravity seems to have rounded out at 1.030-1.029 and has stayed that way for the past 3-4 days. Should I go ahead and rack now if I'm going to add fruit or should I wait until the bubbling slows? I would go ahead since the gravity seems to have stopped lowering but I wasn't sure if I should wait since their still seems to be plenty of activity.

Do not rack yet! When you added the honey it pushed your clock back to the starting point. You need to keep your brew in the primary for another week at least, I would say 2 or 3 weeks since honey ferments slowly.

About what gravity should be acceptable? The recipe this is very roughly based on says 1.026

Back