adding gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooterkdavis

Reaction score
Hey all, got a quick question, I am doing a heffewiesen kit that comes with geletin to add once fermentation is done. The question i have is that on the instructions it says to only leave in secondary for 2-3 or there will not be enough yeast to carbonate bottles, is this truely what geletin does? Because i like to keep all beers in secondary for at least 10 days. Should i not add the geletin if i want to keep it in a secondary longer?

Thanks
Scott

I don't know why you would want to clear your hefe. The yeast are not supposed to flocculate so you want it to be cloudy. I don't think I would add it.

that is exactly what i thought. Thanks its just that this kit was prepared for me by an "award winning" home brewer and i wanted to follow it exactly, but i think the guy was full of it.

I wouldn't say that he is full of it. I let a nice long secondary clear my beers and I have not had a problem yet.

+2 i would leave any other beer in the secondary for 2+ weeks, but not a hefe. Don't use gelatin, unless you're going for a kristallweizen

Back