Who Uses A Diverter Fence In The BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I'm wondering how many have installed a diverter in their home made Sanke BK's to help with whirl-pooling in a recirculating system. I see them in the multi-barrel systems, and in the uber-buck store-bought systems, and it seems that using the same physical devices in our scaled down systems as in the larger systems would have the same advantages, when the return to BK is under wort level, and aimed to swirl.

Seems an easy addition, especially when done when first having keggle welded.

Anybody done this to their home made system?

I want one. I have used a DIY bazooka screen for several batches now but I think that a diverter plate would be the least trouble to clean. I just dont want to pay 30 dollars to have someone weld in a tiny stainless strip.

Yup, searched there, saw that, but it was a commercial bought rig.

Trying to anticipate all the features that I want before the welding starts....
Aiming to recirc....want 'Big Boy' features in a budget DIY rig, and having seen the 30 barrel brewhouse at my local, I say why not do the same-scaled down, of course...

Yeah, I'm a Virgo and a machinist/machine builder....:eek:

Here's what gave me the itch:
http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php?cat=18

Note the RIMS return gives 'AutoSwirl'......
http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php?cat=17

Are you already convinced that it'll work as you expect, or do you have questions about how it is to be configured/welded?

I have nothing else top offer, but I'd thought I'd help you clarify that because I wasn't sure.

Having seen them in multi barrel systems, and seeing them offered on big buck commercial systems I have no doubt that the concept is solid.

I am merely trying to find someone who has walked this path before me, and find out what THEY have to say concerning their experience with it. This isn't a high priced addition or a complicated component, but it is apparently commonly overlooked by recirc brewers....ya got wort returning back to the MLT anyway, seems pointing the return line around the periphery of the tun and using a diverter is work you don't have to keep doing...let the machine do it for you....

At this point I know of one guy and he's about 20 miles away...seems weird that more haven't adapted the gadget....:confused:

does whirlpooling even work in a Sanke? You weld the coupler a few inches above the bottom so you need a downtube to drain all the wort out. Well I guess if you dont mind leaving a bit in the bottom and draining out of the side then whirlpooling would work. I have a bazooka tube sitting on the bottom middle of my keg so a whirlpool or diverter plate wouldnt do me any good anyways.

It would however work well in my 9 gallon SS pot.

maybe you could if you did something like this

c873_12.JPG

Just thought I would dig up the past. Thinking about installing a diverter after having a stuck runoff from my BK. Anybody have a pic of one that works well?

I use a hop spider and paint strainer bags for my hop charges.

kettle11.jpg

I have never had any clogging with my whirlpool. I run the outlet into my March pump and then through my CFC. This allows me to chill and whirlpool at the same time. I leave the vast majority of trub behind in the kettle.

Back