Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA clone help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelTown

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the homebrewtalk community and I am about to take on my 3 batch, a 90 minute IPA clone recipe from The best of Brew Magazine.

The very end of the recipe, it says to cool to 32 degrees F. I don't have the ability to do this at this time. Is this step absolutely necessary?

That is surely a typo. There would be no reason to chill the beer to freezing temperatures. Where in the recipe? As in...as the very last step, put a bottle in the fridge before you drink it?

At the end of the recipe, it says Start Fermentation at 71F and let raise to 74F. Dry Hop in secondary at 71F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 degrees F.

Oh. Makes more sense. Maybe they are lagering. Not totally sure why, as it is an ale, but maybe they are going for a pseudo-lager effect in addition to a cold crash? Not sure. But knowing that it is after dry hopping, etc. you know that it has nothing to do with fermentation. So maybe its not a typo after all.

They are cold crashing to help settle out hops and other particulate. It's a good idea if you have the capabilities, but not absolutely necessary.

With this beer, do NOT ferment it at 71*F!!

This is made with English dry ale yeast (wlp007) and in my experience needs to be fermented colder. I do mine at 63-64*F for first 4-5 days then ramp up to 68. Finish it at 70 or so for dry hopping. If you ferment high, you're going to get lots of esters and it won't be a 90min clone.

Your 32* question was answered above. Definitely indicates cold crashing prior to bottling to help drop all if the hops in it. There are a lot! Good luck- great beer!

Latest posts

Back