Serving at 18 PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I was able to pick up a keg of The Crisp from Sixpoint. I contacted the brewery and asked how many vols of CO2 were in the beer so that I could serve properly and was only told to serve at 18psi.

I currently only use 8' lines. So, assuming some wiggle room for temp (not knowing what temp the 18psi is recommended for)... I guess the only thing short of venting the keg until it is balanced with my 8' lines is to run out and grab longer line? Does 13' to start sound reasonable?

Any reason why you can't just tweak your serving PSI (starting low, and working up) until it works for you? I'd start super low (3-5psi) and see how it comes out, then tweak it up 1 or 2 PSI until I was happy with the pour.

I've got 14ft 3/16" lines and max I like to serve at is 18 psi at 40 degrees. Gives between 2.5 and 3 volumes.

How about figure out where YOU want the carbonation level to be at temp??? Use this chart to figure out temperature and pressure to obtain CO2 volumes level. IMO, them telling you 18psi is akin to saying it's made from ingredients grown on Earth. :cross:

Thanks for the replies. However, I can't dictate the level of carbonation already in the keg without bleeding over time and eventually serving at a CO2 level lower than intended for the beer. I would like to maintain and serve the beer at it's intended carbonation level.

BulldogBrewer: That works if I am carbonating and serving a beer to suit my system. This is already carbed (intentionally) at a level higher than I have ever carbed to/served at.

Jdaught: I might just start at 15' and cut from there as needed. Thanks for sharing.

Golddiggie: I have that luxury with my beers... But not with a commercial keg already carbonated to a level that they deem perfect for the beer. Sure, I could bleed their keg until it reached my typical serving pressure (or lower) and fit it to my system. But at some point, I'm not serving their beer as intended.

Thanks for the replies. However, I can't dictate the level of carbonation already in the keg without bleeding over time and eventually serving at a CO2 level lower than intended for the beer. I would like to maintain and serve the beer at it's intended carbonation level.

BulldogBrewer: That works if I am carbonating and serving a beer to suit my system. This is already carbed (intentionally) at a level higher than I have ever carbed to/served at.

Jdaught: I might just start at 15' and cut from there as needed. Thanks for sharing.

Golddiggie: I have that luxury with my beers... But not with a commercial keg already carbonated to a level that they deem perfect for the beer. Sure, I could bleed their keg until it reached my typical serving pressure (or lower) and fit it to my system. But at some point, I'm not serving their beer as intended.

Then get someone at the brewery to tell you what psi to use for their beer, at what temperature, OR the CO2 volumes it's carbonated to. Otherwise, F them and do aim for a volumes level for it. Adjust it until you're happy with it and write it down for future reference.

I think you're over thinking it. It's already carbed, you're just trying to figure out how to serve it properly, it shouldn't take much to do that.

Thanks again for the replies! I might be wrong... But won't CO2 come out of solution and foam if I try and serve at a lower psi than what already exists in the keg?

Whaaat?? If you're lines are too short, or your PSI too high, you'll get a glass of foam.

No, he's right. If he serves it at a pressure below the equilibrium pressure, CO2 will come out of solution to balance the pressure, this can lead to gas pockets in the line and foamy pours. It'll happen relatively slowly though, and eventually (once there's enough headspace) it would re-equilibrate at the lower carb level.

I like Bobby's idea. But I also think you should contact the brewery again and ask them what temperature that's for. For me it's been hit or miss finding out stuff like this. I e-mailed Harpoon for a keg I had once, I got no response. I e-mailed Ommegang and had a beautiful response (2.73 volumes!) within 15 minutes. And I e-mailed Pretty Things here in MA and got an response a lot like yours ("oh, you can serve it at X pressure, but then turn it to Y pressure afterwards") that didn't answer my question at all.

Back