Secondaries are for sucks! (eh?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When brewing ales do you...

• Use the 1-2-3 method

• Long primary (more than 2 weeks) no "secondary"

• short primary (a week or less) no secondary

• I drink it as it ferments.

• Ralph Nadar is my fermentation vessel!

Results are only viewable after voting.
EdWort said:
I voted long primary (2 weeks max). I also crash cool it to 39 degrees for a couple days before kegging.

Same here. Used to secondary in carboys, got tired of suck-back issues with airlocks. Now it goes straight to the keg. Do get some residual yeast at the bottom but not much and I don't have issues with clarity, as in the Kolsch here on the left:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/FireBrewer/Brewing/DSC02218.jpg

:rockin:

For lagers, I lager in cornies.

My Caramel Cream Ale Sans Cream I just bottled I only used a primary, 3 weeks and it's the clearest beer I've ever made.

3 weeks in primary. I quit using secondary after a few infections and don't see myself going back until I start lagering. I see no need and IMHO an improvement in taste.

I let my brew clear in secondary for at least a month. I have no worries of infection because I am a nut about sanitation. Wether or not this improves taste/quality is another question. I do it because I like to do it, not because I beleive that the beer gets better. In fact I am so egotistical about my beer that any method used (as long as it is beer) will result in a much better product than any commercial brewery ever made!

- WW

i voted for nader.
it really depends on too many things, what i do.

i've done 10 days in the primary, straight to keg, and drank 5 days later.

i've done two weeks in the primary, straight to keg.

i've done two weeks in primary, two weeks in secondary.

it just depends on what vessels i have available, what beer i'm making, how impatient i am, who the beer is for, if i'm bottling or kegging, etc.

I voted for Nader, cuz It all depends on how busy I am. Sometimes I rack to secondary after a week, sometimes I let it go. I just kegged some Fat & Tired a few days ago that were in primary since early June. It turned out fine. I guess I am more likely to rack sooner if I need to wash the yeast from primary. I didn't need to do that with this last batch, so I fugured the hell with it.......

Latest posts

Back