How could I add more body to this porter recepie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkubuzz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys, planning to do this Porter recipe with a friend, but he insists he wants to add more body to it, that it seems a bit "light"

what do you guys think?

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5,00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 80,6 %
0,60 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80,0 SRM) Grain 2 9,7 %
0,35 kg Chocolate Malt (450,0 SRM) Grain 3 5,6 %
0,25 kg Smoked Malt (9,0 SRM) Grain 4 4,0 %

40,00 g Kaf [8,20 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 5 31,1 IBUs
10,00 g Kaf [8,20 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 6 3,9

1,0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23,66 ml] Yeast 7 -

you probably wont know the Hops, as its a new chilean hop (actually the first chilean hop ever!) so for me its a first too...:ban:

80% from your base with some smoked and chocolate sounds like plenty of body to me. You could always use some lactose. Adds some sweetness and leaves it a little thicker in the end.

It doesn't look like it would be that short on body, but if you really want to up the body you could add a bit more crystal malt, say .25 to .5 lb of crystal 40, or you could mash at a higher temperature. You do not mention your mash temperature in your post, but generally 155-156 deg F will leave you some residual sugar and body in your beer.

Very true! I guess I assumed that y'all had already taken mash temps into account. Keep it around 160 if you want a higher FG. This favors the alpha amylase enzymes and will leave more unfermentables in your beer. It's definitely the first step to giving more body to your brew without changing the grains and completely changing the flavor.

yes it would be 156 (69°C)

thanks for your replies, it seems i will leave it like this... how about the "smoke" is it OK or would you add a little bit more, I want plenty of smoke but not overwhelming

Smoke malt can varry a bit in it's smoke level. try tasting a bit of the malt and see how smoky the flavor is. I assume you are using traditional Rauch Malt. If so, then you are using to little an amount in a dark beer that you want a pronounced smoke flavor in. I'd start somewhere in the 15-20% of grist area and then see if that gets you where you want. Rauch Malt can be used in much larger quantities depending on how much smoke flavor you want. Some use it up to almost 100%, but that makes a pretty smoky beer I think. I'd guess 20-40% is where you eventually want to be, but you'll have to use some trial and error to dial it in to your taste.

Back