$3000 saved for a system. What to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamerong

Reaction score
First off i live in Canada so i am limited on suppliers compared to you in the states.
I have saved for a few months now with the idea of getting an electric setup so i can brew 10g all grain year round.
I have a budget of $3000 as of now and am looking at either a herms or rims system but am flexible on my decision as i am not sure yet either of these are necessary with the advancements in malt science nowa days.

I would love some imput on what is available for my price range and i am not afraid of DIY i have an enginering and construction background so i am quite capable.

let your imaginations and cunning budgeting skills go wild any input will help.

howd you go all electric for 500?

For one control and automation design and implementing is some of what I do for a living so building the control panel was about $1oo or so maybe a little more. My cart was $5o from HF and my e-keggle was a total of $180ish. My pump was a freebie leftover from a job. I did my AC wiring myself less than $75 in that. Remember I am single vessel BIAB so I only needed the one but would not cost much more to go three vessel with coolers.

Build it one time and be done for the rest of your life. If you Build a Kal clone as seen at theelectricbrewery.com you can just brew. You can use cheaper kettles and pumps to save a few hundred dollars. Kal lives in Canada as well and he went all out on his build and spent around $5000. It can be done for less if you shop around. Visit his site and check it out. I built mine for just over $3500 and it rocks :rockin:

Check out Fuzzy Logic Brewery

"Fuzzy Logic Brewery" Build

Build it one time and be done for the rest of your life. If you Build a Kal clone as seen at theelectricbrewery.com you can just brew. You can use cheaper kettles and pumps to save a few hundred dollars. Kal lives in Canada as well and he went all out on his build and spent around $5000. It can be done for less if you shop around. Visit his site and check it out. I built mine for just over $3500 and it rocks :rockin:

Check out Fuzzy Logic Brewery

"Fuzzy Logic Brewery" Build

I agree build it well or build it twice I just happened to do mine for a lot less money than a Kal clone and there are many nice systems in this community that are not Kal clones. You do not need a Kal clone to have a great system. My system meets the three major needs safety, reliability, repeatability and at a fraction of the cost to boot.

Kal lives in Canada as well and he went all out on his build and spent around $5000.
Actually, I spent considerably more than that because (a) I had to sometimes test out 3-4 different ways of doing things before settling on the best way, (b) I had to order most things from the US and shipping to Canada is stupidly expensive. For some of the items I had to use mail forwarders too.

The $5000 figure is what someone else would likely spend (and does not include shipping) if they build their own based on my list. It does include absolutely everything. For more info see my FAQ.

I agree build it well or build it twice I just happened to do mine for a lot less money than a Kal clone... My system meets the three major needs safety, reliability, repeatability and at a fraction of the cost to boot.
Yes, but as you posted earlier the reason that it's a fraction of the cost is that you work in the control and automation design and implementation industry and got some items for free. It's not really a valid comparison or helpful to the original poster to say "I did mine cheaper" when it appears the main reason is because you got a bunch of your stuff for free. Just my 2 cents.

Kal

Actually, I spent considerably more than that because (a) I had to sometimes test out 3-4 different ways of doing things before settling on the best way, (b) I had to order most things from the US and shipping to Canada is stupidly expensive. For some of the items I had to use mail forwarders too.

The $5000 figure is what someone else would likely spend (and does not include shipping) if they build their own based on my list. It does include absolutely everything. For more info see my FAQ.

Yes, but as you posted earlier the reason that it's a fraction of the cost is that you work in the control and automation design and implementation industry and got some items for free. It's not really a valid comparison or helpful to the original poster to say "I did mine cheaper" when it appears the main reason is because you got a bunch of your stuff for free. Just my 2 cents.

Kal

The only thing I got for free was a pump. So add $150. The cart, kettle, and control panel parts I bought because I do not steal from work.

Good to know. By all means share your list of the parts for your setup and let others learn. I'm sure many would be interested in the $100 control panel (for example).

Kal

Here you go had to do some research as I did not feel I needed to save this information but since I am being called on it.

Control box ~$50
Switches 120VAC ~$2.00 x 4 = $8
PID Auber $45
Terminal Block $20 ebay
Two Pole 50 amp relay $15 ebay
SSR and Heatsink ebay $15.00
2 dual 110 AC outlets $2.00 each
Misc wiring <$20
3 prong dryer outlet $10

Looks like I was a little low at $100 looks closer to $200 but my point is you don't have to spend thousands to have a good safe reliable system. I am still at or around $500 for the entire system and still less than a grand to do a three vessel system. Hey if the guy wants to spend three grand then by all means...

Again Kal, nothing at all against your system it is beautiful but I have a difficult time accepting someone telling another person that the only way to be satisfied is to build a multi-thousand dollar system. It is simply not true.

There are so many different configs out there (BIAB, RIMs, HERMs). Those can be broken down even furthur depending on your style of brewing. I think the first step is to figure out what you want to build and don't base it off how much money you have. My system is a 2 vessel 2 pump RIMs controlled by a Kal inspired control panel w/ a BCS460. I trolled the forums for atleast 6 months before I figured out what I wanted to build. Look at as many systems as you can, and when you find one you like .. learn as much as you can about it and build it.

Again Kal, nothing at all against your system it is beautiful but I have a difficult time accepting someone telling another person that the only way to be satisfied is to build a multi-thousand dollar system. It is simply not true.
I re-read this thread I don't see anyone saying that the only way to be happy is to built a multi-thousand dollar setup. Most brewers do not spend that much and most are perfectly happy.

As jusware commented the first thing to do is to figure out how you want to brew (what your criteria are) and then figure out how or if you can do it within the budget you've set. Don't spend $3000 because you have it. Figure out what you want to do and then see if it can be done for $3000. If you can meet your criteria for $500 or $1000 then great! Pocket the rest. You have to weigh out each item as you design the system to decide if the extra expendature is worth it.

Things like deciding if BIAB or multi-vessel is the way you want to go has to be done first before anything else like deciding if you want gas or electric. There are a million other things to decide too... Stainless vs brass vs plastic? If multi-vessel do you go single tier or multi-tier? How do you want to chill? Figure out the process and criteria first.

There's no "right" set of criteria. Everyone will be different. As long as what you build meets your criteria you've succeeded.

Posting your parts list for a single vessel BIAB / single PID box is extremely helpful to the OP to help them decide how he/she wants to go and gives them other options as it shows (as you said) that not everyone needs to spend thousands to meet their particular needs.

Good luck mamerong!

Kal

Back