Infection? with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No its not hops i dont know what it is and the first to look like white spider webs i just couldnt get a good pic through the glass

How long has it been in the fermenter? Have you tasted it yet? Get a turkey baster and pull out a sample, then describe any off flavors you can detect (note that the presence of off flavors at this point will probably be OK).

Also, are you sure those tentacle things aren't whole leaf hops? They sure look like the remnants of whole leaf hops that have gone through a boil.

Its been in for a week, yes i tasted it, it was bitter and had an off taste of iron but that didnt surprise me i have alot of iron in my water and this was the first time i used just my well water. But it did have off smell coming through the roasty smells. No that is not hops i did not use whole leaf hops. I had a slime like film on my boil and i think it got into the fermenter i think that is what that thing is.

In my very rookie opinon, the white looks like mold which should not be an issue. Just do not rack it. As for the orange tentiicals, i have no idea, but it looks like they are trying to take root. Call it "Mega Organic", and put the last pic ya posted on the label. I'll drink it sir!:mug:

Good luck, and Cheers!

I know there's a sticky somewhere here that has a bunch of infection pics. I'm looking for it...

Here it is: Post your infection!

I guess it's not a sticky.

Your last picture is the one that really scares me. The first two (although difficult to see) look like CO2 bubbles at first glance. That last one is gnarly looking!

that last photo looks like some type of Sea Creature

IMG_4007.jpg

-=Jason=-

You want to rack underneath the gunk. Avoid getting it in your bottles to prevent it from spreading.

yea that's definitely an infection of something. the tentacles of cathulu are kind of a hint that something form the other world has been at work. IMO if it tastes ok and smells ok drink it and learn from your mistakes.

The last pic looks like you got some seeds in there that started growing??!!!

Thats a strange one, agree, it looks like seeds that started growing.

Anyone id this one?

My biochemist wife says the filiment type structures look indicative of mold. Molds can be nasty and even highly toxic. Without a positive ID on the growth.... i'd dump it. There are few bacteria who can call a beer home and that doesnt look like any of them. But its not even the organisms you have to worry about, its the toxins they produce. Personally, i would not ingest that......

My biochemist wife says the filiment type structures look indicative of mold. Molds can be nasty and even highly toxic. Without a positive ID on the growth.... i'd dump it. There are few bacteria who can call a beer home and that doesnt look like any of them. But its not even the organisms you have to worry about, its the toxins they produce. Personally, i would not ingest that......

I hope you realized that you just summoned Revvy from his lair. He will soon strike with a long rant about NO PATHOGENS CAN SURVIVE IN BEER!

He says it better than I can. If this is even palatable, and you can drink it at all, it won't hurt you. At all. Seriously. That's if you can suppress the gag reflex as you reflect on the pictures. [shudder]

It looks like break material to me in the last pic. odd, screwed up, stringy break material.

The white stuff looks like mold to me. I would rack that into a different fermenter or ride it out till it is done.

NOTHING THAT CAN HARM YOU CAN LIVE IN BEER.

NOTHING.
Sweet christ, can't you people just let your fermentation do its thing? As much as I love my carboys I am beginning to think all newbs should be required to ferment in buckets so every little thing cannot be seen and made into something it is not.
/endbestrevvyranticouldmuster

NOTHING.
Sweet christ, can't you people just let your fermentation do its thing? As much as I love my carboys I am beginning to think all newbs should be required to ferment in buckets so every little thing cannot be seen and made into something it is not.
/endbestrevvyranticouldmuster

this lol

Update

Well nothing seems to being growing any bigger and i dont see anything eles going on im thinking about racking it to a new carboy and see if anything grows back in the 2 weeks i really wanted to leave it on the yeast cake but, i dont i would like to see what happens in a clean carboy what dose HBT think?

im more concerned about the white stuff forming on top of the beer

I thought the bottom picture was aiptasia but unless you have the salinity close to sea water I doubt it. There are some "infections" or characteristics of young lambics that are described as "ropey" but I don't think this is the case.

The top pictures look like the start of a pellicle possible of wild yeast or mold. If you want to stop it you can kill everything with campden tables or some other chemical process and then repitch fresh yeast.

It could also be tiny bubbles from the yeast as it finishes up and it is actually nothing bad at all. Hard to tell from the pictures.

Can you put a light behind your beer and turn the flash off on your camera?

Back