BIAB kettle size for 2.5gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
So after a year and a half of extract brewing (~15 batches), I am finally ready to move on to all grain. After looking at all the different ways of going all-grain, I tend to like the looks of the brew in a bag method. I live in an apartment, so not much room, and it looks promising as a way to get introduced to all grain

90% of the batches I do are 2.5 gallons. My current brewpot is 5gal(20qt) stainless. Would this be big enough to do these 2.5 gallon batches?

I figure the biggest beer I would ever make would be an IPA, so I am looking at roughly ~7lbs of grain max for a 2.5 gallon batch. I'm just not sure if that 5gal brewpot would be enough. Would love not to have to buy another bigger pot.

thanks

7lbs pf grain would make a BIG IPA.. that would end up in the 1.70 range fora 2.5 gallon batch. In order to answer your question on is the pot big enough, you need to know your boil off rate. take the grain in lbs x .10 to get a rough estimate for absorption. the final batch + absorption + boil off to get the water needed for a full volume BIAB. with 7lbs of grain that would be REAL close to a full 5 gallon pot.

now.. you always have the option to do a BIAB with a dunk sparge in a second pot giving you a little more room for grain in the main pot.

Edited:

Kids, don't drink and type; you'll only be thought of as a fool...

"I do 3 gallon batches in a 62 qt (I'm dumb, and can't do math when drinking...) canning pot using BiaB which gets it nice and full doing full volume mash ins. That is with a regular 1.045 OG beer."

pvtschultz said:
I do 3 gallon batches in a 62 qt canning pot using BiaB which gets it nice and full doing full volume mash ins. That is with a regular 1.045 OG beer.

I do full volume mashing in a 40qt pot with plenty of space for grain and water making 1.060 beers

Sent from my Epic 4g using Home Brew Talk

I do 3 gallon batches in a 62 qt canning pot using BiaB which gets it nice and full doing full volume mash ins. That is with a regular 1.045 OG beer.

Are you sure your pot is 62 quarts? Thats 15.5 gallons and it gets full when you are making only a 3 gallons batch?

lol, yeah, let's do the math again...

4 qts/gal x 5.5 gal = 22 qts...

I shouldn't drink and type, at least I was in the right place!

7lbs pf grain would make a BIG IPA.. that would end up in the 1.70 range fora 2.5 gallon batch. In order to answer your question on is the pot big enough, you need to know your boil off rate. take the grain in lbs x .10 to get a rough estimate for absorption. the final batch + absorption + boil off to get the water needed for a full volume BIAB. with 7lbs of grain that would be REAL close to a full 5 gallon pot.

now.. you always have the option to do a BIAB with a dunk sparge in a second pot giving you a little more room for grain in the main pot.

I actually have another 3gal pot that I could use for this dunk sparge you are talking about.
So if I understand right, I would just use like 3 gallons in my main pot, heat it up to mash temp, mash, then when it was done with the mash, I would just dunk it and let it sit in the other pot with like a gallon in it, and then pour into the main pot and boil?

lol, yeah, let's do the math again...

4 qts/gal x 5.5 gal = 22 qts...

I shouldn't drink and type, at least I was in the right place!

haha its Ok, I figured it was just a typo. So you make 3 gallons finished product, or do you start with 3 and end up with 2.5 gallons of beer?

I recently did a 2.5 gal BIAB Pliny clone that had 6.5# of grain and my 5gal stainless kettle worked perfectly.

Same here, I do BIAB 2.5 gallon batches in my 5 gallon pot. I usually start with 3.7 or so gallons and up with just about 2.5. I think there's plenty of space.

Yeah, I shoot for 3 gallons in the bucket for small trial batches; 2.5 gallons makes for easier math but the extra half-gallon shows up in the bottles. My pot pretty consistently boils 1 gal/hr plus add for water absorption and then the grains gets me nearly to the top of the pot during mash-in. This is perfect IMO because it allows for better thermal stability during those 60-90 minutes. I usually wrap the whole works in a quilt that my mom made and typically only lose 1 or 2 degrees during the mash.

Alright thank you to those last few people that replied, that makes me happy that I dont have to get a new brew pot. 90% of the time I will be making beers that dont require > 6lbs grain for 2.5 gallons, and is nice to know that when I do occasionaly make the big IPA, it should still work.

Thanks again

no problem.. and just to let you in on a secret... All Grain brewing isn't nearly the scary 3 headed monster that most make it out to be... it's really quiet easy.. BIAB makes it even easier.

Ive been reading alot about it recently, and figured I should make the jump. Even if it doesnt make a "better" beer so to say, its cheaper over the long run, and more fun.

What I want to try later on just for an experimental batch (like a 1 gallon batch), is I used to help out this farmer in my area on the weekends, and last year I got him to give me 10lbs of 2row for free. Its unmalted, and I kind of want to try and make one beer from his grains, so I would have to malt it and stuff. Not practical for many batches, but for one batch it might be fun to try.

I do 2.5 gallon BIAB with 20 qt pot for test batches all the time (well, actually 2 20 qt pots).

My technique:

-lbs of grain * .05 absorption * 1.5 qt = strike water volume

-mash in 20 qt pot (lid and a blanket usually holds temp for 60 minutes) at desired mash temp

-subtract strike water volume (1.5 qt * lbs of grain) from desired boil volume (I lose a gallon for a 60 minute boil), this is your sparge/mashout volume. Heat this water to mashout temp in second 20 qt pot

-remove bag from strike water and soak in mashout kettle for 10 minutes

-combine wort from both pots into one and have at it! (There will be very little head space but it can be done, just keep that spray bottle of cold water handy until after the break.)

With a small batch size as proposed, you may be able to fit your mash in a warm oven to maintain temps rather than insulating...just a thought.

Thats actually a really good idea. I think my 5 gal brewpot will fit if I take out the middle shelf.

I do 2.5 gallon BIAB with 20 qt pot for test batches all the time (well, actually 2 20 qt pots).

My technique:

-lbs of grain * .05 absorption * 1.5 qt = strike water volume

-mash in 20 qt pot (lid and a blanket usually holds temp for 60 minutes) at desired mash temp

-subtract strike water volume (1.5 qt * lbs of grain) from desired boil volume (I lose a gallon for a 60 minute boil), this is your sparge/mashout volume. Heat this water to mashout temp in second 20 qt pot

-remove bag from strike water and soak in mashout kettle for 10 minutes

-combine wort from both pots into one and have at it! (There will be very little head space but it can be done, just keep that spray bottle of cold water handy until after the break.)

I've thought about still possibly using two different pots to BIAB, but I think for beers with regular OG, I will just use the single pot for simplicity, but if I ever decide to brew up a IIPA or something, your way sounds awesome

Man, I love this forum!

I'm stuck in the how-bit-of-a-kettle-do-I-need-to-buy problem now and this thread is saving me space and money. Thanks for the advice guys!

Back