Stella Artois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simple answer is don't drink it

every time I've had it on draft it's skunked!

so I don't drink it

Lesson learned yet?

This is why I purchase Pauliner Hefeweizen and avoid Franziskner, and any green/clear bottle in general.

Schlante,
Phillip

All marketing......crap beer. Learned about the marketing strategy when I was getting my MBA. It was a crap Belgium beer and a group bought it and decided to market it as a high end import in America. They started selling them in upscale clubs on the east coast and also started serving them in the fancy glasses. Well......it seems to have worked. You still can't hide that crappy taste though.

meh. I like Stella. It's kind of like Corona - I am actually looking for that skunkiness when I have one. If it was missing I would probably think I had a bad one, LOL.

I decided to have a Stella draft since it was available. It was pretty good, at first. I took my time eating buffalo wings. After I finished the wings I went back to finishing the beer. It tasted awful. Is it because of what I ate or because I let it warm up.

I had a brew day and invited a few non-beer type friends to learn about it and one guy brought a 12'er of Stella, (pretty nice considering how much that crap costs and that he didn't think he was getting free beer at my house for some reason???) The 12'er blocks much of the light and the first bottle or two I had (to clear out my fridge...) was actually pretty good, but i guess the light from my fridge has since skunked them, which is quite funny actually.

It is amazing how much marketing affects people's perceptions about taste. Most people could be made to think moose piss is a nice quaffable beer (and often do I guess) as long as there are expensive or classy ads to back these claims.

I don't hate bud or miller, at least that crap is cheap. I can honestly say I have some serious issues with those green bottled euro/caribbean beers. They are marketed as something grand and they are really expensive!! Especially Peroni at more than 10 for a sixer in some stores!! You can get some awesome craft beers for 10 bucks a six pack.

This is why I purchase Pauliner Hefeweizen and avoid Franziskner, and any green/clear bottle in general.

Or you could just get the 500ml bottles of Franziskaner which are in the brown bottles ;) I too avoid the green bottles like the plague. Someone told me recently that Franziskaner switched over to brown bottles for their 12oz, but I haven't seen it yet. Besides, I prefer the large size.

I've never gotten on much with Stella either. One thing about it, even if I only have a few I wake up with a headache the next morning. Only certain beers do this to me - like Brooklyn Brewery, Hofbrau, Warsteiner, and a few select others. Most others I can drink tons of with no aftereffects.

Rev.

About 2 years ago... I went to a wedding and the stella keg must have been fresh and just tapped. I was very surprised at how good it was and found it hard to stay away from the bar. Of course any attempt at enjoying a stella anywhere else since then has been a huge disappointment...

....Saaz and noble hops tend to have a skunky aroma/flavor. I guess if you didn't know that then it would seem skunky to you. I hate the, lets pig pile on the BMC mentality. If you don't like it, fine. Why share your disdain for it?

Didn't know. I just brewed an ale with Saaz and Hallertauer. Haven't had it yet.
Will see if has the skunk flavour. My guess is that he yeast flavours will dominate.

....Saaz and noble hops tend to have a skunky aroma/flavor. I guess if you didn't know that then it would seem skunky to you.

Yeugling is in green bottles. Never had a skunky one.

You're getting it fresh, they have a Brewery over in Tampa now.

The first time I tried Stella I was at The Cheesecake Factory waiting on a table at the bar. I had no idea what it was and it was better than the other two draft choices or so I thought. I don't remember it being bad, but I remember it being damn near tasteless and was a bit bummed. The glass was really cool though.

Have a stella, then a pilsner urquell, back to back. both green bottles, both have the recognizable saaz hop aroma and flavor. the hops have a skunky kind of aroma, both are good beers, i like them, but my favorites are stouts, porters, brown ales. i just started drinking stella and pilsner urquell, i like em. to each his own i guess.

I love stella never had a real skunked one. I opened a Duvel the other day and ive never smelt a beer as skunked as it was awful though

just2bre[CENTER said:
[/CENTER]w;2681960]About 2 years ago... I went to a wedding and the stella keg must have been fresh and just tapped. I was very surprised at how good it was and found it hard to stay away from the bar. Of course any attempt at enjoying a stella anywhere else since then has been a huge disappointment...

I drank enough Stella to float a battleship around from the tap when I tended bar in Atlanta. Bottles...not so much.

The first time I tried Stella I didn't like it, seemed skunky to me too. I've had it plenty of times since then and I've grown to like it. After a number of them I concluded that the skunky flavor and aroma were due to hops. I actually find them refreshing now.
I don't buy them but my Wife and Sister in-law do. That's the only time I drink em. I'd rather spend my money on other beer.

Back in the 90's a guy claimed that the American public will buy ANYTHING. And with the right marketing he could sell it. And his product was a huge success, a national phenomenon. His gimmick..... Teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Back in the 90's a guy claimed that the American public will buy ANYTHING. And with the right marketing he could sell it. And his product was a huge success, a national phenomenon. His gimmick..... Teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Turtles in a half shell! Turtle Power!

Back