Pot prep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Sunday will be my first all grain! Going to do 10 gallons of EdWort's haus pale with my brother in law. Putting the final touches on my equipment.

I am going to use a 7.5 gal alluminium pot to heat up strike/sparge water (HLT). Do I need to do anything to it before hand. I have read about building an oxide layer, is that only necessary if you use it to boil wort?
Thanks!

It would not hurt to simply boil some water in it and then toss that water. That should be enough to get the pot slightly oxidized. Then use it for strike water or whatever. When you clean the pot don't remove the gray oxidized layer. Shiny aluminum is what you want to avoid.

just wondering if the effect of not doing this will cause a very bad beer :) I forgot to do this with my aluminum pot and i am doing a apples to oranges comparison between my method and my friends. Will the effect of not oxidizing the aluminum pot be VERY noticeable?

just wondering if the effect of not doing this will cause a very bad beer :) I forgot to do this with my aluminum pot and i am doing a apples to oranges comparison between my method and my friends. Will the effect of not oxidizing the aluminum pot be VERY noticeable?

When I did my initial boil the water turned gray.

hmmm.. pot prep. Hang in the dark for 24 hours, then wait till the stems just break. Put it in paper bag until it feels dry when squeezed but doesn't yet give that rustle dry sound. Put in sealed mason jars to cure for at least two weeks, but watch for powdery mildew... :fro:

OK now on topic, that slight metallic taste may not even be noticeable depending on the beer and is not dangerous. Here is what John Palmer says..

This taste-detectable level of aluminum is not hazardous. There is more aluminum in a common antacid tablet than would be present in a batch of beer made in an aluminum pot.

Latest posts

Back