2007 Goals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojr

Reaction score
Well, they're putting up Christmas decorations at the mall, so it can't be too early to talk about goals for next year, right? :D

2006 was my first year homebrewing, and I'm averaging about one batch per month. In 2007, my goals are:
  • brew every three weeks
  • stick with extract / partial mash
  • improve quality and consistency
  • get on a "brew calendar", so I'm not always brewing my seasonal beers late!

What are your goals / plans for 2007?

nosnhojr said:
[*]get on a "brew calendar", so I'm not always brewing my seasonal beers late!
[/LIST]

What are your goals / plans for 2007?

I have been using the Microsoft Office Calendar. It has an option to create multiple calendars, so I have a Brewery Calendar. I use it to schedule brews, keep records, etc. It has been the best addition to my homebrewery since Promash.

Somebody posted this a while back (I think I've got a clean spreadsheet in chronological order somewhere around here...I could maybe make a Google spreadsheet):

By the Book
Style When to Brew When to Drink
Altbier 1st Oct. mid Dec.
Barley Wine 1st Feb. mid Dec.
Belgian Strong ale, Trappist 1st Aug. end Jan.
Belgian White 1st June end July
Biere de Garde/Saison 1st Feb. end May
Bitter 1st Oct. mid Nov.
Bock 1st Jan. end March
Brown Ale U.S. 1st Nov. end Dec.
Brown Ale U.K. 1st Sept. end Oct.
California Common 1st Sept. end Oct.
Doppelbock 1st Nov. end Feb.
Dortmunder 1st Nov. end Dec.
Dunkelweizen 1st April mid May
Extra Special Bitter 1st Oct. mid Dec.
Eisbock 1st Sept. end Feb.
Festbier 1st April mid June
Fruit Beer 1st April mid to late June
Imperial Stout 1st Jan. mid Dec.
India Pale Ale 1st March end June
Kolsch 1st March end March
Lambic 1st March end May
1st June end Feb.
Lager U.S. 1st April end June
Maibock 1st Feb. end May
Marzen/Oktoberfest 1st Feb. late Aug.
Mead mid Dec. mid Dec.
Mild Ale 1st Sept. end Sept.
Munich Helles/Dunkles 1st Jan. end March
Old Ale 1st May end Sept.
Pale Ale 1st March end March
end April mid June
Pilsener 1st Feb. end April
Porter 1st Feb. end Feb.
Red Ale 1st Feb. end Feb.
Scotch Ale 1st April end Dec.
Scottish Ale 1st Sept. mid Oct.
Schwarzbier 1st Dec. mid Jan.
Smoked Beer 1st Sept. mid Nov.
Spiced Ale mid Oct. end Dec.
Stout, Dry end Jan. end Feb.
Stout, Specialty 1st Oct. end Nov.
Weisse, Berliner 1st June end July
Weizen 1st June mid July
Weizenbock mid July mid Dec.

wow, ambitious, i think.
good luck!!!
i'd like to do a batch each month. have to pick up some more carboys and whatnot to get a decent level of production

Baron von BeeGee said:
Somebody posted this a while back (I think I've got a clean spreadsheet in chronological order somewhere around here...I could maybe make a Google spreadsheet):

By the Book
Style When to Brew When to Drink
[clipped]

I didn't count them, but it looks like close to 1 per week. Maybe they clump up though. Let's lay 'em out on a calendar and see how it looks.

How about a HomeBrewTalk.com 2007 brew calendar, featuring photos from the galleries? We'd need to move fast...

Yeah, let me see where the spreadsheet I made is. Might be at work (!). I think there's quite a bit more than more individuals could brew...you have to pick and choose. Also, I'm not opposed to a stout in the summer and Hefeweizen in the winter if need be!

I can't say for sure about next year. I was on the road for 18 weeks this year and managed to brew 26 batches so far.

Come '07, I'll be on the road for 3 weeks in Jan if I don't have to go to Portugal, then 4 weeks starting in Feb...other than that I'm open...:D

Baron von BeeGee said:
Oh yeah, my goals are somewhat similar to Walker-san's this year: perfect some certain styles of beers, or at least base recipes that I can use as jumping off points.

Thanks for reminding me... I need to dig up the mission statement that I made last year and see what I was able to check off and what I was able to mess up.

-walker

My goals:
Brew once a month.
Get brewing rig to a more "complete" state (well, work on it some more...it'll never be complete...evil laugh...).
Increase AG efficiency to ~80%
Brew my first lager.
Brew something SWMBO likes (she's not a beer drinker)
Brew/drink at least one batch in an "austere location" (wherever work sends me)

EDIT: After posting in the "Rides" thread all evening, I have another goal to add:
Get that '41 Chevy on a decent rolling chassis.

Yuri_Rage said:
My goals:
Brew once a month.
Get brewing rig to a more "complete" state (well, work on it some more...it'll never be complete...evil laugh...).
Increase AG efficiency to ~80%
Brew my first lager.
Brew something SWMBO likes (she's not a beer drinker)
Brew/drink at least one batch in an "austere location" (wherever work sends me)

Good goals! I'm curious about the "austere location". Drinking someplace special seems relatively easy, but brewing someplace special sounds interesting! Any particular site in mind?

nosnhojr said:
Good goals! I'm curious about the "austere location". Drinking someplace special seems relatively easy, but brewing someplace special sounds interesting! Any particular site in mind?
If I told you I'd have to kill you...

More details to follow...stay tuned...

We have a sticky for that Brew Calendar but I guess I'm the only one that updates it. Any Mod can go in there and change the styles. I'm not too prompt at keeping it current. :D

I had a rough 2006 as far as quantity, but a pretty damn good year for quality. It was only my second year brewing, and my first full year as AG. I think my production went down from like 25 batches to about half of that. I only have 1 goal for 2007, I will perfect the LWPA and enter it into the NHBC. I feel I have to.

The only other comp I'll enter is the 2007 Dominion Cup--seeing I had BoS I should probably defend the title. I'm entering at least one.

I'm thinking about putting a beer or two into a competition. I don't expect to win but it might be fun. The National AHA conference will be here next summer so maybe it's a perfect opportunity.

EDIT:
<~~~~~ I am so glad the Broncos got this guy from the Packers!:D

RichBrewer said:
I'm thinking about putting a beer or two into a competition. I don't expect to win but it might be fun. The National AHA conference will be here next summer so maybe it's a perfect opportunity.

EDIT:
<~~~~~ I am so glad the Broncos got this guy from the Packers!:D

You all know my feeling on competitions, but I REALLY want feedback on my LWPA. Maybe this year I'll get a couple of real judges to taste it. :rolleyes:
As for the Dominion Cup--I feel like I have to defend the cup, you know? Is that bad?

And as far as that guy you got from the Packers--you can have the big crybaby. It is only a matter of time before he whines his way out of Denver too. Plus, we got Jennings, who is already better than Walker will ever be.

For me, I'd also like to start entering some competitions, This year I got my ag system dialed in and upped the production. I also built a kegerator and duh, started kegging. I've found a few recipes that I really like and are great starting points to perfecting them. If I had to make a list it would look something like this:

1. Enter homebrew competitions
2. Get/Build 15 gal. brewpot
3. Build CFC of some other method to chill wort from above mentioned pot
4. Build 10 gallon mash tun
5. Perfect a few recipes

My Goals:

1. Drink more homebrew
2. Brew more homebrew
3. Master Extract and test some PM/AG
4. Brew many small batches to test some wild recipes
5. Build an AG setup
6. Get into 10 gal batches/kegging

Well, since I first started in late October, I haven't even bottled yet, but might as well make some modest goals. Aim low, always be a winner! :ban:

1. Brew a porter.
2. Brew a stout.
3. Brew an ESB.
4. Brew a weizen or witbier.

Yeah, that's about it for my first year. I intend to stay on extract until I get a house... need more room. Lots more room!

Most of this years goals involve finishing the evolution into AG. This is both an equipment and process evolution but lately the equipment has been lagging behind the understanding of the process!

#1 - LEARN MORE!
- build insulated mash-tun, lauter tun
- completely convert to AG
- triple bottle and keg storage capacities (currently (4) 5gal./(2) 2.5gal cornies)
- convert from all hand notes to brewing software (probably BeerTools) so as to have more accessible and adaptable information
- rely much more on in-house recipes than HBS recipes
- do a much better job of staying ahead of the curve and having a good selction of ready to drink beers on tap and bottle aging. i have this bad habit of getting gaps in my homebrew supply.....need to work out a better calendar!

1. Celebebrate by HBT-anniversary on Jan 23, celebrate by brewer-versary on Jan 28.
2. Throw a housewarming party and serve my homebrews
3. Get a turkey fryer, keggle, chiller, another carboy or 2, kegerator, and kegging system
4. Brew a pilsner and lager
5. Maybe go all-grain or at least give it a try
6. Go bug the Cary, NC guys in April.
7. Laugh at Red Sox fans for paying 51.1 million to try and sign a pitcher who throws the same mystery pitch as Hideo Nomo and Hideki Irabu, a 90-mph fastball with no movement. :D

todd_k said:
7. Laugh at Red Sox fans for paying 51.1 million to try and sign a pitcher who throws the same mystery pitch as Hideo Nomo and Hideki Irabu, a 90-mph fastball with no movement. :D

$51.1M for the right to negotiate with Scott Boras.... yikes.

I view it as $51.1M for the opportunity to make hundreds of millions in ads, TV, broadcasts and other financial ventures. If it works out, the Sox will make all that money back and more.

......and really, WTF is a gyroball????? Is it like helicopter-style bowling? I hear that's big in Asia too. <fingers crossed>

Just to (somewhat) relate this back to topic....hmm....in 2007 (and eternally after that) I will hope to bowl a 300, just not helicopter style.

Fiery Sword said:
......and really, WTF is a gyroball?????

I googled it a couple weeks ago, it's a pitch that rotates like a bullet would and then at the last minute breaks HARD away from righties. This high school coach in the US taught it to 2 of his pitchers and it supposedly will break from an inside pitch to 3 feet outside.
In any event, no one has been confirmed to have actually thrown it in a real game. this pitcher says he is trying to learn it and a few people say they know of a couple guys who have thrown it but it really is a phantom pitch. You have to have PERFECT mechanics, hips and shoulders need to rotate at the exact time, it is a fastball grip but on the side of the ball, and there's something about the arm movement that I didn't understand.
Anyway...... if it works then that is awesome since there hasn't been a new pitch in baseball since Mr. Splitty in the late 70's. On the other hand, it all sounds like hype to me since like I said, Nomo and Irabu were suppose to have this mystery pitch too.
So right now, you're paying $58.1 mil for a 2 year contract, then whatever Boras can get tacked on to that. Why not just sign Zito and another pitcher or position player instead? There more of sure thing then this guy who has thrown A LOT of innings already and has already had major shoulder surgery.

Oh yeah..... :off:

Well, I've been making plans too. I started brewing in July and got myself (and my wife) on a schedule of sorts. Now that I am more patient, I can do the 1-2-3 method and my beer really is much better.

Goals:
Brew every three weeks
Brew basic styles
Modify the basic styles one ingredient at a time
Switch to liquid yeast (doing that this weekend for the first time)

Life is good.

brew shed outside the homestead, with lagering cellar, my ultimate plan has a tunnel dug from the basement to the lagering cellar, but that prolly won't happen.

kegging my pale's and stouts, still gonna bottle the big beers..

hmm, theres so much next year in regards to brewing.....

-finish brew closet
-finish kegerator
-aquire some conicals
-finish 10 gallon setup
-do well in brewing school
-get an internship at 4 Peaks in Tempe

I could go on and on, but thats just for the first 6 months.

Starts in Feb. and ends in June. Then I am taking a leave from work to go spend a 3 weeks to a month at 4 Peaks. They have been very receptive so far, and actually asked when I wanted to start actually working instead of the internship. Only drawback is having to live in Pheonix in the middle of summer.

Have less evening meetings so I can be home more often to enjoy the fruits of my labor and thus creating the need to brew more often and thereby providing me with the opportunity to brew a greater variety of beer.

Bring about world peace.

Find more DIY brewing projects.

• Stay on my current schedule of brewing a new batch every other weekend.
  • Get another 6 gal carboy, a 5 gal carboy, and a 3 gal carboy.
  • Build up a good collection of larger bottles to supplement my already large supply of 12oz bottles.
  • Buy the equipment to make a small carboy chilling tank to get my ferment temps into the 60s.
  • Move into a house so I can really let loose with this awesome hobby! :)

I have been extract brewing for many years now brewing every so often without alot of purpose or direction. I've made good beers and I also made some klunkers.

In the short time that I have been on this board, I have:
  • Brewed a better quality beer;
  • Become more knowledgeable about equipment;
  • Become more knowledgeable about brewing techniques;
  • Learned more about beer styles.
I don't think that this was a coincidence. Thank you all for the part that you have played in my beer education.:mug:
In 2007, I hope to continue with my learning experience further. Among my goals:
  • Do more brewing outside of my comfort zone;
  • Decide if going AG is for me;
  • Appreciate and be able to describe fully every new beer that I sample;
  • Network with local brewers in AZ;
  • Try to make 2 appearances at a HBT gathering outside of AZ (you have been warned);
  • Recruit 1 new brewer to our cult er... hobby;
  • Bring at least one brewer over to our board;
  • Attend GABF 2007;
  • Start Lagering;
  • Bottle more;
  • Always have at least 3 beers on tap;

Thanks again for 2006. Looks like we all have some work to do in 2007.

ETA: spell mo' better
ETA2: and the grammer thing.

1. Improve quality and consistency - a never ending goal.
2. Get a dedicated fridge in the garage for lagering and...
3. Kegging - at least dip my toe into the waters.
4. Brew enough Kelly's Honey Blonde Ale in 2007 so that I am never out and can honestly call it my 'house brew'.
5. Enter some more competitions; I've slacked off lately.
6. Get my girlfriend the breast implants she's been patiently waiting for.
7. Go to the Great American Beer Festival in September where we can show them off!

Here's a goal that I have for next year, that I think would be cool for the community here at large...

More beer swaps.

I've read a lot in the past day or two about crappy experiences with beer judges and their seemingly arbitrary criteria and imaginary flaws. We ought to be doing more swaps amongst outselves. It can start by everyone in the FFB league sending me my three beers, but even beyond that...

I'm still a n00b, I need feedback. Walker's tried my beer, but other than that it's mostly been friends and family with less sophisticated palattes than are present here. I'd like to hear what I'm doing wrong.

Just a thought....

Back