How Quickly Does S-33 Normally Take to Get Going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimE

Reaction score
I brewed my most recent beer on Christmas day. It is a variant of Whitey's Gone Fishing Pale Ale with slightly different hops. This is an extract recipe. I call it Old Stone House Pale Ale.

I used 1 package of S-33 dry yeast. This brew was fermenting vigorously within 6 hours. This surprised me. I used Notty on my Belgian Tripel and it took 24 hours to get busy blowing CO2.

Is this just a difference in the yeasts or in my method. Wort temperature was the same for both.

For the tripel, I cooled the wort to 70 degrees, poured it into the fermentor and topped it off with 70 degree water to make 5 gal. Next, I sprinkled the Notty over the surface and stir very gently for about 10 seconds.

For the pale ale, I cooled the wort to 70 degrees, sprinkled the yeast around the bottom of the empty fermenter, poured the wort into the fermenter, and then topped it off to make 5 gal. Otherwise all procedures were the same.

Sooooo, is this vigorous fast start due to a difference in the yeasts, a difference in my procedure or both?

Jim
Old Stone Home Brewery

Back