low original gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aweks

Reaction score
I have just finished brewing a pumpkin ale...smells great! However my original gravity reading is only 1.036. This seems low. I used 9 lbs of various grains and about 7 lbs of pumpkin for a 5 gallon batch. I guess pumpkin doesn't yield as much sugar as I thought. Any one else run into this problem with Pumpkin, or did I just screw something up?

The canned pumpkin I have is 10 grams carbohydrates per 130 gram serving or 7.6%. Even if it was all sugar, 7 pounds of it would yield less than 1/2 pound of sugar or 0.004 SG in a five gallon batch.

But even so, 9 lbs grain should give a gravity well above that.

Can you post the actual grain you used, and the procedures, times and temperatures you used for each stage? With this information, we may be able to spot something wrong.

-a.

ajf said:
But even so, 9 lbs grain should give a gravity well above that.

Can you post the actual grain you used, and the procedures, times and temperatures you used for each stage? With this information, we may be able to spot something wrong.

-a.
6 lbs of 2 row
1 lb of Vienna
1 lb of Belgian Caramunich
1 lb of Medium Crystal

single mash for one hour at 155 degrees. Fly sparge with 170 degree water to make approx 9 gallons of wort. Add pumpkin to wort. Boil for 60 minutes. Yields about 6 gallons. Cool with copper coil wort chiller (still takes too long...think I will buy another wort chiller, attach the two and set the first in an ice bath, and the second in the wort).

If I had to guess the problem, I can think of two things... 1) I have a cheapo Corona grain mill that is incredibly dificult to get a consistent crush. 2) I had slightly more than 9 gallons of wort while the sparge run off was still relatively dark. Usually the run off is almost clear by this time. Not sure what happened there.

All I want for Christmas is a BARLEY CRUSHER!!

I had the same problem with the pumpkin I did a few weeks ago. I think the amount of pumpkin suspended in the wort has something to do with it.

jcarson83 said:
I had the same problem with the pumpkin I did a few weeks ago. I think the amount of pumpkin suspended in the wort has something to do with it.
Awesome...misery loves company!

Have you gotten an FG yet? If so what is it? Alc./V? Type of yeast?

That is about right. Works out to 70% efficiency in Beersmith , not calculating for the pumpkin which seems neglegible according to david's calculations. Keep in mind it's 6 gallons. If it were a 5 gallon batch your OG would be about 1.045. Eff. % is a bit low, maybe try a longer, lower ph sparge.

Agree with ChillHayze. If the batch was 6g instead of 5, it makes a big difference.

I'm not quite sure how yo boil down from 9g to 6g in an hour. That would require some serious BTUs

-a.

I read an article before I brewed mine that said there was no need to mash the pumpkin. There isn't enough starches to make it worthwhile. I boiled the pumpkin in the wort for 90 minutes.
My OG in ProMash matched my actual OG and the pumpkin was not calculated in ProMash. I don't think the pumpkin had much effect on the gravity in my brew.

Anyone who put the pumpkin into the mash should chime in here. What was the effect on the beer's gravity?

ajf said:
Agree with ChillHayze. If the batch was 6g instead of 5, it makes a big difference.

I'm not quite sure how yo boil down from 9g to 6g in an hour. That would require some serious BTUs

-a.
I have a big propane seafood boiler with 15 gallon pot. It gets up to a tremendous rolling boil. Roll baby Roll!

RichBrewer said:
I read an article before I brewed mine that said there was no need to mash the pumpkin. There isn't enough starches to make it worthwhile. I boiled the pumpkin in the wort for 90 minutes.
My OG in ProMash matched my actual OG and the pumpkin was not calculated in ProMash. I don't think the pumpkin had much effect on the gravity in my brew.

Anyone who put the pumpkin into the mash should chime in here. What was the effect on the beer's gravity?
Next time more grain and depending on my actual beer versus trub yield of this six gallons, I may boil down 5.5 gallons.

Thanks for all of your help. Predicting about 3.5% alc./v. I guess we can just drink more beer and still be able to drive!

aweks said:
Next time more grain and depending on my actual beer versus trub yield of this six gallons, I may boil down 5.5 gallons.

Thanks for all of your help. Predicting about 3.5% alc./v. I guess we can just drink more beer and still be able to drive!

Yeah that will make a great session beer for the fall season. Have a few before the haunted house ~ it will be extra spooky! :)

You could use more grain but maybe try to concentrate on raising your efficiency. Your process looks good and it seems you have the proper equipment. Looks like the culprit may be the grain mill. Any big chunks in there might be doggin' your performance. Good luck with the Christmas wish!

Latest posts

Back