Shaken, Not Stirred

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avi8tor

Reaction score
Yesterday, I decided that I would make another batch. My 2nd one and it was going to be an English Pale Ale DME kit.

I've had a Cream Ale sitting in a primary for a week and the final gravity had stabilized two days in a row. I figured since I had a glass carboy that I would rack it off so I could use the fermenter again.

After getting the cream ale racked off, I picked the damn carboy up and tripped down the stairs to my garage where I was going to put it in my freezer (temp controlled). Doing what any beer lover would do, I tucked and rolled and landed on my back, saving the glass carboy from harm.

Fricken hurts this morning. Now my cream ale is all shaken up but safely tucked away in the freezer. It owes me so it better be good.

So I go back to my new brew and get a nice cold break. I did not see clumps of stuff on my first one but after reading quite a bit here, it looked right on this batch.

Then I accidentally punched the stupid grommet into the beer. After washing my hands and arm and pouring sanitizing stuff all over it, I dig it out and do it again. (Slow learner).

I get it sealed up and remember that I probably ought to add the dry yeast to make beer. Open it back up, resanitize the bottom of the lid and pitch the yeast. Seal it up and agitate to get oxygen in there.

Then I carry it, carefully this time, to my freezer and set it in and of course remembering at 2 am that I had not taken a sample to test gravity.

So I figured out why I had so many problems this go around. You see, the first batch, I was drinking like a mad man and this one I wasn't. Made a notation in my beer log as a lesson learned so I won't have so many problems with the 3rd batch.

I'm off on travel for a few weeks so I'm just going to let it sit in there at 66 degrees and hope I have decent beer when I come back :) At least it's bubbling this morning.

I punched the grommet through on my lid last night also. Was it a full moon or something? I just jammed the airlock down and taped it in place and decided to go get another one on Monday (or another lid). I figured that the fermentation would keep any nasty things out. Then I went and had a beer :mug:.

stairs and carboys are a recipe for disaster...glad you and your beer survived the ordeal

Thanks guys. After this, I think I will start fermenting in a glass carboy and learn to walk down stairs correctly. Not being able to see it ferment just isn't fun.

I tucked and rolled and landed on my back, saving the glass carboy from harm.

Dude, way to think on your feet... or back. Being a little sore is definitely worth 5 gallons of beer that's not all over your garage

I have nightmares about falling on the stairs with my carboy, since I use the upstairs bathtub as a swamp cooler-I live in Florida. Then I have to bring it back down when I bottle. Going up is definitely easier than coming down. I use a brew hauler and it seems to make life a lot easier. I wish I could do everything on one floor, but such is life in a townhouse.

I call my brewery "Second Story"

Back