kolsch dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joos

Reaction score
anyone ever use fermentis for a kolsch?If so which one?Iv'e never tried a kolsch so I have no idea which to use.Thanks in advance.

Kolsch is a very subtle style and the yeast is an integral part of the beer. AFAIK there are no Kolsch strains available in dry yeast. Go the extra mile and get one of the Kolsch yeasts from White Labs or Wyeast if you want the true character of the style.

Kolsch is a very subtle style and the yeast is an integral part of the beer. AFAIK there are no Kolsch strains available in dry yeast. Go the extra mile and get one of the Kolsch yeasts from White Labs or Wyeast if you want the true character of the style.
+1. I have made a Kölsch twice and the one with the liquid yeast (Wyeast 2526) was significantly better. Spend the extra few dollars and get the liquid yeast, then harvest it for future use, if you want to cut cost.

Good to know thanks guys.Planning on doing 2 batches this week and the chimay clone will not be cheap.just trying to cut some corners,but I'd rather make a good beer:mug:

FWIW, Northern Brewer suggests Safale K-97 for those who want to use dry yeast with thier Kolsch kits.

That being said, I agree with those that suggest using one of the Kolsch specific Wyeast or White Labs strains.

I'd you are going to use the K-97 yeast, make sure you use a blow off tube. This stuff fermented like crazy. It does make a great beer though🍻🍻

Back